Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 13, 2003, 11:34 PM   #1

Default Digital Photography Magazines

Are there any print magazines on the newstands that cater (at least mostly) to digital as opposed to analog photography? If so, which is your favorite?
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2003, 12:03 AM   #2

The one I know of (but I don't read as I get all of my info online for free) is PC Photo, http://www.pcphotomag.com/

I haven't found the need for a print source for info...I mostly use Steve's reviews for info, and then search on Google.com for the rest.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 12:39 AM   #3

My dad gets Photo Electronic Imaging (PEI). Its all digital and has be for a very long time (one of the first mags to transition to all digital coverage, I believe.) What I've read from it, I like it.

I would go to a large local library and see what they subscribe to. I know most local libs near me get Popular Photography (one of the largest photography mags out there, but its film and digital) among other things.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 1:29 AM   #4

Default Re: Digital Photography Magazines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua B
Are there any print magazines on the newstands that cater (at least mostly) to digital as opposed to analog photography? If so, which is your favorite?
In my opinion, the best digital only magazines (in English) are all UK magazines. Here are some good ones:

Digital Photo
Total Digital Photography
What Digital Camera

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 9:19 AM   #5

I agree with Shene: European digital mags are great in two respects: they give you a true article on tested items (unlike mags like PCPHOTO that never say anything bad about any manufacturer) and they show imaging that makes you strive to be a better photographer; I find US corporate mags on average exhibit really sub-par photography (no offense to anyone).
What Digital Camera is by far my favourite of them all. Aspecially on the photoshop tutorials.

my 2 cents worth, Tabasco
tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:41 AM   #6

Thank you all. You've given me a lot to look for at the magazine stand.

Sometimes I like to be on my couch in a comfortable position while I read about cameras and photography. But obviously, just about everything you want to know is on the web...except for prints on high quality paper.
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 1:39 PM   #7

If you go to a bigger magazine/book store, don't only check the camera section, but the video and computer sections as well for digital camera stuff.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 2:39 PM   #8

Digital Camera magazine is a good one. It usually comes with free software and the base picitures that they work on.
http://www.dcmag.co.uk/
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 4:47 PM   #9

Be aware of Digital Camera Magazine.

Month ago - in the beginning of the magazine, they wrote here in these forums for photos to use in there magazines. I've posted the address for my website, and got an answer that there was a certain photo they would use. They would pay me a symbolic amount, but I refused (just wanted to help them on their first issue), but instead agreed with them on posting me an issue of the first magazine.
I never recieved it, and my e-mails seldom got answered.

Now here, about a year after, one of the guys in here told me that my shot was eclected as photo of the month in the italian issue of the magazine.

I mailed the editor again - but he didn't care. He told me he already send two issue before last christmas. Finally I wrote him my personal opinion on what was going on. He obvious didn't like that.

I CAN'T RECOMMEND A MAGAZINE LIKE THAT. TOTALLY UNPROFFESSIONAL!

Sergio Bertolinis, Italy - scan send to me last month!

I've deciced to post this elsewhere too.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:27 PM   #10

I subscribed to Digital Camera magazine about two years ago. I only received one issue. When I complained they sent me one more issue. Never heard from them again.

I subcribe to Shutterbug. The content is fair (they still spent too much time on film), but I like to read something in bed, and my dog doesn't like having a laptop with us.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote