Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 17, 2003, 3:44 AM   #1
Default Confusion...

I asked "The same old question !!!" and made up my mind that I should buy Nikon CoolPix 2100 to start with. The other option was Cannon A60.
I stay in Kaiserslautern,Germany. So I went to Mediamarkt and they had only Cannon A70. CoolPix was out of stock!!!
I then went to Promarkt, there I could find A60 but not CoolPix.
Stock is not a problem. I can wait. But the main problem is that these shops sold the cameras at a price much higher that what is indicated as street price for US in www.dpreview.com website(side by side).
The coolpix was priced around 240 compared to 199$ on dpreview.
Now that is strange and confusing.
Can any of you tell me if I can buy this from some reputed dealer for a good price on ebay or order online....

Thanks a lot.

ps:- you see this delays my aspirations of beating all those big wigs out there with wonderful digital pictures.... wait.. I am coming...
bhaskarannadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2003, 11:32 AM   #2

Prices in Europe are usually higher than the US prices. Part of it may be that the initial cost of the camera is higer to cover Euro warranties, plus the Euro cameras may have a different ROM for the different languages. You have to remember that you're not just paying for the hardware...you can buy a US camera but you won't have local warranty, you'd have to ship it back to the States. Not to mention the costs of customs and duties you'll have to pay.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 6:12 PM   #3

Best thing to do is check price watchers websites for instance;

Next google on your candidate camera with 'site:.de'
If you are lucky you find a real world shop near you with a bargain cheaper than the lowest price in on-line shops.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 11:13 PM   #4

I think buydig.com ships to other countries. It has pretty good prices and good resellerratings
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote