Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 1, 2007, 4:52 PM   #1

On the link below they are selling the 40D about £200 cheaper and state they have this in stock, which I was surprised at?I can not find a UK postaladdress, although there is a secure sign. http://www.digitalrev.com/en/product...p?item_id=2117

Has anyone used them before?
Mr Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:46 AM   #2

No I have never heard of them. If you are unsure as to weather to use them I would take that gut feeling and do some more reasech. I have had some bad experiences in the past (2004 - 2005) and learned to stick with the big companies weven if their prices are slightly higher. Once such companie J=K cameras for example will hold your order hostage till ou buy a service warrenty and add-ons or the camera suddenly gets sold to someone else while your being hasseled by them.

I have been using bhphotovideo.com and newegg.com since 2005 for all my needs. They may be a little more expensive on some things but their service and tech support rock.

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:58 AM   #3

As Dave said......when it comes to buying online, if it's too cheap to believe.....maybe you shouldn't.

I stick with three places when it comes to buying newphoto equipment online. B&H, Adorama and Newegg. If anyone is selling something significantly less than these three places, there's a good chance it's probably a bait & switch operation. Go check out any place here if you ever have doubts..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:27 AM   #4

They're based out of Hong Kong according to their about page:

I also see notes at the bottom of the main page that prices are exclusive of duties and VAT. So, when customs sees the items coming in, be prepared to pay duties. ;-)

Given that they're in Hong Kong, I'd also suspect that the items are gray market (not intended for sale in other countries). So, warranty concerns would raise a red flag, too. Some manufacturers are more lenient compared to others in this area (for example, Nikon distributors will often refuse to service a gray market camera model, even if you are willing to pay them for the service).

In adddition, I'd be concerned about some of "unknown technical issues" mentioned on this page of their site:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 3:43 PM   #5

by the time u got it imported you wont have saved as much as u hope, plus if its faulty, u ship it back at your cost, and hope it doesnt go missing

personaly i wouldnt do it. i imported a car alarm for my son, got it of ebay from someone here in UK, it took 3 weeks to come and came from hong kong not from UK like it read, they too where powersellers that means the get so much email u never get a response from them...service poor, all they want is money

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 4:29 AM   #6

Thanks has anyone else heard of these

Mr Shift is offline   Reply With Quote