Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:01 PM   #11

eric s wrote:
In my opinion (*warning*) people buy a picture because they have some connection to it. That connection can come from many different angles (its their kid playing sports, its a mountain that they hiked, it strikes them at an emotional level, it makes them go "wow"... whatever.) But they need some connection to the picture.
I got quite a chuckle out of this, as I had some quite nice shots of loons that I am planning to include in my line of photo note cards, and perhaps make postcards with. One of the local storekeepers oohed, and aahed over them, until she found they weren't take on 'her' lake. Doesn't want them now. :roll:

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 2:42 PM   #12

This is a very interesting discussion and one I plan to save to share with students who tell me they'd like to become pro photographers. I am still very much a learner in DSLR photography, but, for most of the reasons listed above, I have no plans to hang up my classroom tools and try to make a living with my Pentax.

Another reason I would hate to be going into the world of professional photography today is the explosion of high-quality consumer-grade cameras. More and more people are taking pictures themselves or "getting a friend who has a good camera" to record events. These photographers (like me) are able to produce a high enough quality photograph to satisfy customers who don't necessarily want pro-quality shots enough to pay enough for them to justify a pro's time.

Fisheye makes one final point that I found interesting with his analogy of the county fair photos that "beat out those taken by a pro." The difference with a true professional is that he turns out that quality day after day, shot after shot, even when shooting an event that bores him to tears. (read school pictures, graduations, high school proms, etc.....of of which make up the backbone of the income of most photography pros.)
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 3:24 PM   #13

I looked at your shots and find many of them compelling and contemplative.

Definitely a coffeshop type book scenario. I enjoyed your sharing your site and what you have done. Your imagination fuels your desire to make it as a professional.

Sincerely I believe there isn't a need for schooling beyond what you have already done. It takes just getting what you have out there to be seen and noticed and perserverance.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote