Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 23, 2002, 10:18 AM   #1
Default camera settings/printer settings help

I've done research, but would like some tips from you guys/gals. I recently bought my first digital camera and will be using it for casual photography on trips/special events. It is a 2 MP Fuji FinePix 2800 6x. I have an Epson C80 inkjet. I would like to print 3x5 and 4x6 photos and wanted to know what settings you all recommend. The camera has three settings (fine, normal, crappy (hehe)) for each of its images sizes (1600x1200, 1280 x 960, 640 x 480). I'm assuming I'll need the fine settings for prints but what about the resolution for 3x5 or 4x6? Does it matter if I use 1600x1200 for a 3x5 over 1280x960 for a 3x5?? Also, I'm assuming I should just set the printer settings to the maximum dpi when printing photos on glossy photo paper? Is this a good assumption? I might be vague, but any tips would be greatly appreciated.

ike2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2002, 11:39 AM   #2

Shoot as many shots as you can on max resolution for best results e.g. 1200x1600. For smaller prints 1280x960 will suffice if memory is low. 640x480 as a last resort but even small printed images pretty pixelly. Try to use fine or normal I found crappy had too many compression artefacts.

On the printer you should have a photo setting called photoenhance4, use that with decent photo glossy paper with the printer set to glossy paper and the c80 should work well in general.

I personally do not believe it's worth going beyond 1440 dpi to 2880 - I cannot tell the difference although I hear it's better for B+W.

Don't be afraid to experiment.

steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2002, 11:43 PM   #3

Get lots of memory and shoot in the highest resolution and lowest compression possible. Always. Until you look at the picture, you really won't know what size you want to print it.

Memory is fairly cheap, so get at least ten times as much as you think you need. And get it in big chunks, e.g., one 256M card instead of 4 64M cards. Less handling means less chance of damage.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote