Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 26, 2003, 4:43 PM   #1

Default Good starter camera for 7 year old?

I am looking for a first camera for my seven year old and I want to encurage her to learn by taking a lot of photos without (me) paying the price for film and developing. Does anyone have a recomendation for one the is easy to use, durable and cheap? Thanks
flynez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2003, 6:30 PM   #2
Administrator

Finding a digicam that's both durable (i.e., capable of withstanding the punishment a 7 year old may give to it), as well as capable of printing decent quality photos could be difficult.

For example: even the most sturdy digicams can break (those with a decent optical zoom lens and photo qualty), if the lens is extended and they are dropped on concrete.

There are some very inexpensive, lower resolution, fixed focus digicams designed for kids available (i.e., barbie cams, etc.) but most of these are really of little use for prints (onscreen viewing only).

Will you want to print the photos she takes, and if so, how large of a print size will be needed (3x5", 4x6", 5x7", 8x10").

Also, what do you mean by "cheap" (budget)?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2003, 6:32 PM   #3

Casio G-Bros

Fuji Big Job

I saw a ruggedized Kyocera yesterday, but I don't remember the name.

These have lots of rubber and plastic on the outside to prevent damage from shocks, drops, water, and other childhood hazards.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2003, 6:54 PM   #4
Administrator

There was also a rubberized Konica announced, but it may or may not find it's way into the U.S. Phil has it on his site at http://www.dpreview.com

There are also other ways to make a camera tougher (for example: the plastic waterproof cases available for divers).

But, he did say "cheap" --- so we'd better get an understanding of what he means by that, before digging into it too much.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 7:01 PM   #5

Doh! I meant Konica. I knew it started with a 'K'.

In order of durability, I'd estimate that it goes in order from Konica, Casio, Fuji.

The Konica and Casio are very well protected with rubberized shells. The Fuji seems a little plasticky with its Fisher-Price-esque shell.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2003, 7:11 PM   #6
Administrator

Well -- it looks like Konica also manufactured a DG-1 (1.3MP) and DG-2 (2MP) rubberized camera, but I don't know if they ever made it to the U.S. (not found in any price search engines, but I haven't checked ebay, etc.).

I bought a Konica last month (Konica Revio KD-510z), and it's build quality is outstanding (Metal Body), but with the lens extended, it would probably break if dropped (I'm not going to drop mine to find out).

Depending on what he means by "cheap", for a 7 year old, he may be better off getting one of the fixed focus cameras from Wal-Mart. It looks like they've got some for under $50.00 now -- so if one broke, at least he wouldn't be out too much money. Some of them even appear to have metal bodies (although photos of them can be deceiving). But, their usability for prints would be extremely limited.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...3A3959%3A47600
Old Aug 29, 2003, 4:58 PM   #7

Default Cheap

Thanks to all who replied. My definition of "cheap would be under $50. I know our daughter will be taking pictures of everything that she can point at. Being able to view her photos on the PC would be fine. If I could print a few of her best ones that would be an added bonus. It does need to be able to withstand some punishment and depending on how she takes care of it would help me decide when she is ready for a better one. Mainly I would just like for her to have the expirence of taking pictures for right now without it costing an arm and leg.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 5:05 PM   #8

Default Walmart

SiPix StyleCam Blink II Digital Camera SN-20U10 shown in Walmarts ad might work. Does anyone know how durable they are? Thanks for the link JimC
Old Aug 29, 2003, 5:45 PM   #9
Administrator

Here's what I'd go with... HP 120 at 50 bucks including shipping.

These will not last long. I'd order one right this minute if you're interested before they're gone.

Amazon has the HP 120 for $50.00 now, including shipping (select the "super saver" shipping option at checkout). Fixed Focus, 1 Megapixel, Autoexposure, Flash, Software and CompactFlash slot (card not included, but it has 4mb of internal memory). Most of the other cheap cameras have internal memory only, and are only VGA resolution.

Someone posted it last night at dpreview.com

I just mentioned to someone else looking for cheap cameras for a kid's camp. See my post here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=5969437

Here's the link to the camera at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...703620-0796124

Here's a link to prices of the same camera from others:

http://www1.dealtime.com/xPC-Hewlett...smart_120~PG-1

Edit/Update: Here's a site with the specs for it. It's even got a self timer and video mode .. USB connectivity, and even comes with Greeting Card Software (for when your 7 year old learns to use the computer).

http://www.cameraideas.com/hpph120dica.html

Hmmm -- looking at the specs on dealtime.com, it's even got three different JPEG Compression modes. I doubt you'd get that in other $50.00 cameras.

http://www1.dealtime.com/xPF-Hewlett...Photosmart_120
Old Aug 29, 2003, 6:32 PM   #10

Default Re: Cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynez
Thanks to all who replied. My definition of "cheap would be under $50. I know our daughter will be taking pictures of everything that she can point at. Being able to view her photos on the PC would be fine. If I could print a few of her best ones that would be an added bonus. It does need to be able to withstand some punishment and depending on how she takes care of it would help me decide when she is ready for a better one. Mainly I would just like for her to have the expirence of taking pictures for right now without it costing an arm and leg.
In that case, considering your $50 budget maybe a JamCam or BarbieCam would be more in order.

I'm familiar with the JamCam V3, your child might need some help from you because there's two buttons, the left one being the on and hold for 4 seconds for off (the other button is for flash mode, resolution, clear, etc.). It has a built in flash, but it's not so great in lower light situations or indoors (outdoors are best). The downside is you have to hold the camera still while taking pictures until the red light goes off (a few second shutter lag). The camera has a flash, but it's not to great for indoor. It takes eight 640x480 pictures, but you can add an MMC card (I have a 16meg card in mine). The thing is the MMC slot is always exposed, so you may want to put some scotch tape on it to seal it. It operates on a 9V battery and can get about 100-300pics. The camera can hook up to the computer via a standard USB connector, or a serial connector.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote