Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Coolpix 5700 ./. Dimage A1
Coolpix 5700 0 0%
Dimage A1 2 100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 30, 2003, 5:09 PM   #1
Default Coolpix 5700 or Dimage A1 ?

if you had the choice between buying a Coolpix 5700 or a Dimage A1, which one would you take and why ?

Thanks !
GuntiNDDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2003, 6:37 PM   #2

I'd purchase the A1 over the 5700, for the same reasons I'd purchase the D7Hi over the 5700:

* Better Low Light Autofocus - Minolta seems to have figured out a way to do this better than everyone else without autofocus assist lamps. Their EVF is also much better than the competition in low light (thanks to the way they increase the gain) -- although a faster refresh rate would be appreciated (I don't know if this has been addressed in the A1 or not).

* Wider Wide Angle -- I would make use of the 28mm Wide angle on the Minolta, more than I would the longer zoom on the Nikon

* Less Chromatic Abberations -- The lens quality is very good, with less "purple fringing" compared to the competition.

As far as other differences (for example: more shots in burst mode before a pause with the Minolta), they really wouldn't make much difference to me.

Ditto for the new anti-shake CCD. I don't do much with a long zoom, so I wouldn't want to spend the extra bucks for this feature - unless the price were the same as a competing model without it (hence my comment on picking the D7HI over the CP 5700 too)

I really like some of the features unique to Nikon, too -- but the better low light focus capability of the Minolta would tip the scales in their favor if I were choosing between them.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2003, 9:02 PM   #3

I'd go for the Minolta also, and actually did so recently. I bought a used DiMage 7 and upgraded it to 7i specs via software. It uses standard photographic filters (which the Nikons don't), and has more flexibility than I'll ever need. Nikon makes fine products, but in my opinion, they don't really cater to anyone but the point-and-shoot crowd until you get into their SLRs (which cost BIG bucks!). The Minolta DiMage is my first "good" digital camera, and it is good enough that I sold my film camera, lenses, flashes, etc. Digital meets my needs with my 7i's flexibility.
Boomzilla is offline   Reply With Quote