Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 3, 2008, 1:01 PM   #1

Using an Epson R1800 with Photoshop CS, contrast, saturation and particularlybrightness on prints are way, wayoff from what I see on the monitor. I regularly callibrate the monitor using Eye-One, and Photoshop's histogram shows a good exposure, however, the prints come out quite dark. Oddly, I get better results when letting the printer color manage. However, it seems to be recommended that Photoshop should do the color management. My paper settings are correct and I use official Epson paper and ink. Where am I going wrong?

Perhaps my Photoshop settings are off??? Can someone guide me through the settings so I can reasonably anticipate the quality of a print, or if there's too much detail for this forum, can I be directed to a sourcewith the nuts & bolts of Photoshop settings for printing. Here's my specs: Photoshop CS, Windows XP. Image files: tif, 16 bit. Color space: Adobe RGB. Many thanks for your anticipated help. Dan.

Dan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2008, 7:54 PM   #2

I'll make a guess that you are using LCD monitor. Most cases I have seen/heard of regarding this problem, occur when the LCD brightness is too high (and most are). If your histograms are ok, though, it is more likely the problem is with an incompatibility between Photoshop's printer driver updates and Epson driver software. If you have recently updated your CS, this could be the source of the problem. Check Adobe's website for more recent updates. Also, as I recall, Adobe's answer to this was to let the printer manage colors.

I always wonder when I see these posts - why, when you get better results one way, do you think you must continueto do it the other way? Is it just because the 'experts' say that is the way to do it?

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote