Default do you like steves digicams??

i have removed this post
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2003, 6:30 PM   #2

what the hell is the point of this poll
rohankonimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2003, 7:40 PM   #3

hi, the point of this poll is to see if all the people who use this web site realy like it, example: on 8\31\03 steave's was hacked!!and all info submited after that was bad and not posted,
and who ever the scum bags that did that are i hope they never come to this website again!!!

and i was getin' board

Old Sep 19, 2003, 10:18 AM   #4
Default Re: do you like steves digicams??

Originally Posted by bradg
steve, you rock man!!
i love this website!!!!!!!!!!

i think we all do, but there are some low-down, mean people with bad taste that don't like this web site!!!
sad, but true
Add me to those who love this web site. (That doesn't mean that I don't visit others, mind<G>!)

tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 1:34 PM   #5

This is an excellent site!! - Erm.....isn't this why we all come here??!!

I bought my canon A70 through recommendations and writed ups from this site

Some very interesting stuff posted from some very knowledgeable people too!!

Long live this site and forums!!!
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 2:35 PM   #6

i go to other sites too, just cause it is one of the options does not mean it is bad, but what the option realy means is that you go to other sites BEFORE you come here

right now i am mad at steve :evil: cause i went out and spent $1200 for a camera i didn't need because of his site
just kiddin, steve
i'm not mad
Old Sep 23, 2003, 6:32 PM   #7

Here is what keeps me coming back to and staying at Steve's site:

1. It is very easy to read threads. You need not drill down thru
epidermis then the rib cage to get to the heart of the topic.

2. Vast majority of folks are friendly and helpful.

3. I have greatly benefited from and learned much from the MANY folks on this forum who talents exceed mine. I remain forever
humble....and....forever eager to do better.

4. Vicariously, I have learned about many parts of the world that otherwise would have remained unknown to me. I am deeply
grateful for that!

4. Steve does not obsfucate the other URLs of other photo of day contests. He points you to them. (Yeah, always wanted to
use that "o word" on this forum! Ha, ha!).

6. Steve, I believe, is confident that his product, which he tirelessly works to improve upon, will drawn dig photographers to his site.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 6:35 PM   #8

Of course I like this site.

However, I read other reviewers opinions, too. It's always good to get more than one perspective.

Some of my favorite resources:

http://www.steves-digicams.com - Steve reviews a lot of cameras. Bear in mind, that he's usually less critical than most reviewers though, so take this into consideration. Steve's reviews are great for new users, because he goes through a cameras menu system in great detail. His conclusion section is very useful in determining a cameras strengths and weaknesses, too. Also, Steve usually includes some of the same subjects in his sample photos section for each camera reviewed. This makes it easy to compare photos from camera models you are considering.

http://www.imaging-resource.com - Dave Etchell's does great reviews. He also offers a feature known as the "comparometer", which lets you compare images from cameras you are considering "side by side" in the same conditions. Dave also has a "picky details" section for each camera he reviews, so you can look at things like Startup times, autofocus lag, shot to shot times, etc. Performance can vary dramatically between camera models.

http://www.dpreview.com - Phil Askey is the most thorough reviewer in the business. Unfortunately, because his reviews are so detailed, he doesn't review as many cameras as some of the other reviewers. Phil also tends to be more critical than other reviewers, so take this into consideration.

http://www.megapixel.net - Denys Bouton offers a unique review style, and I find his information very helpful. He comes out with a new online "issue" monthly (on the 15th of the month).

http://www.dcresource.com - Although his reviews aren't as detailed as those from Phil Askey or Dave Etchells, Jeff Keller (owner/editor of dcresource.com) offers unbiased opinions of the cameras that he reviews. He will tell you what he likes, and doesn't like about the cameras he reviews.

Another good resource is a photo sharing web site like pbase.com

They have a camera database, that let's you look at photo albums from their subscribers, from most cameras on the market. Bear in mind, that the photographers skill, and the lighting conditions have more to do with good photos than anything else. Also, unless photos from the same cameras, are taken of the same subject, in the same conditions, there is no way to say which camera performs better.

However, this does give you a way to see what photos look like, from typical users, and you can browse through the albums to see what photos look like in the conditions that you'll use the cameras in.

Here's the link to the camera database:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 7:57 PM   #9

When shopping for a camera, it would be wise to gather as much information in whatever language you can grasp about possible candidates. Next most of us end up with a list and become total lost in almost not yet perfect cameras and here is were I really started to 'dig' Steves fourms; A good friendly incompetive atmosphere with lot of helpfull people. No brand x versus brand y bashing. Behind scenes Steve must have had a scenario to ignite this goodwill in his forum. He adds also infront of scene to the atmosphere helping starters and pro's with an answer.

Without Steves forums, I think, many would be stuck with the wrong camera for the wrong person. Next browsing intensivly through the forums, there is a lot to learn, a lot of links and actually I would also like to give a compliment here to my fellow forum users (atleast for tolerating me as a loudmouth ;-).
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 8:39 PM   #10

Just beware of some sites who post reviews based on prerelease cameras without telling you it's based on a pre-release model. Usually these cameras have some different specs than the release model. I've come across a few sites who have done this, a telltale sign is a review written around March 2, 2003, the time of the PNA photography show...you can't even call these reviews as these are based only on manufacturer specs and holding the camera for 10 seconds at the show.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote