Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 14, 2003, 9:54 PM   #1
Default Pentax or Nikon

I hope you can help me to decide which camera to buy. I am a newbie to digital cameras but am looking to buy one for a future trip to Australia. I want to be able to take decent holiday snaps, view shots, people shots and indoor shots. I also want a camera that can take decent close up shots of my watch collection. I have narrowed the choice down to 2 cameras.

Pentax optio s 283
Nikon Coolpix 3100 226

was also looking at the Sony cybershot dsc-p72 but this has a macro of only 3.9inches.

The Pentax has a macro of 2.4inches and the Nikon has a macro of 1.6inches, now not really knowing what a macro is, how much difference does this make.

The Nikon is a cheaper camera and also uses compact flash cards that I already have, but the pentax is so small that I am more likely to carry it around with me.

Any help will be really appreciated.

john (uk) is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2003, 10:29 PM   #2

Don't confuse the closest focus distance in Macro Mode, with the smallest field of view you are able to capture. Those are two different things.

The manufacturers only advertise the focus distance.

Phil Askey tests macro performance in his camera reviews at http://www.dpreview.com

Here is the page testing the Pentax Optio S (able to capture a field of view as small as 1.4 inches across):

Here is the page testing the Nikon Coolpix 3100 (able to capture a smaller field of view, but with barrel distortion). Note: Phil has gone to a different method of testing macros in his newer reviews.

By using zoom, he was able to eliminate the barrel distortion with the 3100, but this reduced the Field of View some in the process.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2003, 10:33 PM   #3

Unless you need to "fill the image frame" with a watch, I wouldn't worry about the differences in macro performance between these models too much.

Look at things like flash strength, image quality, performance (startup times, autofocus lag, shot to shot times), features, etc. in the reviews to help make up your mind.

Good Luck!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2003, 1:48 PM   #4
Default Mmmmmmmmm..........

Shure, my vote is for NIKON.....
The Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote