Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:13 AM   #11

If you go Nikon, make sure you're careful to buy from an Authorized Nikon dealer in the country you live in.

I suspect that *most* of the Nikon cameras being sold new on Ebay are gray market, with misleading text in the listings about the warranty (for example, USA Warranty versus Nikon USA Warranty), meaning a store warranty that may not be worth the paper it's written on if they can't get the parts, service software for calibration, etc.

Nikon USA will refuse to service a gray market camera (one not intended for sale in the U.S), even if you are willing to pay for the service. Some of the other Nikon regional distributors (for example, Nikon Canada) have the same policy.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:48 AM   #12

Thanks for the info, everyone.

I'm glad it's still going to be a nice camera, even if it is a gray market one. I'll have to just take extra good care of it since I have no warranty. And there is no way im going to use time2envys warranty and send the camera back to them. I'm suprised they even sent it to me. Next time I'm going to a store, or ordering from B&H or something.

Tykimeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 5:45 PM   #13

"I didn't necessarily fall into their trap, but I have a question for those who have."

You didn't? This is what you told another member just a couple of days ago:

"Why don't you just do a charge back on your credit card and send all the products back with delivery confirmation? This is what I plan to do if my Canon 40D isn't a US model. I ordered from time2envy a little over a week ago and should get my camera tomorrow."

Sounds like you bought from the same ebay seller...I guess you changed your mind.

Let's see what Nikon has to say about gray market cameras...

From Nikon USA web site:
"For local safety regulations and certifications (FCC, CE, UL, etc.) and government requirements a manufacturer provides special packaging (manuals in the appropriate language, power cables designed for the local receptacle, etc.) and product engineering designed to meet local codes. Manufacturers also have service and support agreements with the authorized importer."
"Gray Market items are not designed to be sold in a particular market and cannot be supported by the authorized importer because they may not meet mandatory safety and certification codes. Because these items are not designed for a particular market they may not function properly, or the authorized importer may not be equipped to provide service, support or software."
"Nikon Incorporated USA is the sole authorized importer of Nikon Corporation of Japan for photographic devices. Nikon Inc. USA pays shipping into the USA, import duties and taxes, and provides service, support and downloads for these products. Nikon Inc. USA ensures that the products they import are fully certified and safe for use in the USA market."
"Nikon Inc. USA cannot provide service, support or downloads for products that have not been imported by Nikon Inc. USA."

It's not just about fixing a camera if proven defective during the warranty period. It also has to do with recalls, service bulletins, software updates, firmware updates, etc. If cameras destined for sale in Sri Lanka start blowing up after the 1,000[sup]th[/sup] actuation, Nikon will notify registered users in Sri Lanka by mail and/or email. If your camera was destined for sale in Sri Lanka, you won't be notified. How will you get a firmware or software update? I could see if you saved $500 by buying a gray market camera, but you didn't, did you? At least one other recent poster to this forum paid the same amount for a gm camera as he would have for a legitimate US cam. What was the advantage? And how do you know if yours is gray market, and not refurbished or used? How do you know if it was not a defective return? You are assuming that the slimebucket that sold it to you has integrity...yeah, right - that's a laugh!

Good luck with your new camera.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:57 PM   #14

When I said, "I didn't fall for their little scam" I meant I didn't give them money and get nothing in return. I received a shipping code knowing my item was shipped and where it was along the way. If that wasn't provided and they threatened me on the phone or didn't reply to emails I would of made a claim through paypal to get my money back. This is what I meant.

You explained the destinations of the cameras very well and I understand now. The sole reason I became paranoid is simply because I figured a gray market camera was a camera with a lesser quality at the ones sold in the US. I guess now I just need to rely on my luck and hope nothing needs to be fixed on it or anything. None-the-less, if something does go wrong, I will be finishing college in about a year and I should be able to afford a new one then. (with a different approach, of course)

I bought my Canon G5 over 4 years ago on ebay (which was quite expensive at the time) and everything went fine. I got the warranty and the camera worked very well for me over the years. I still use it. However, after experiencing this, I think I will never buy a camera on ebay again. Just not reliable enough anymore. Even though time2envy wasn't a wise choice to purchase an expensive camera from, I never thought it would end up like this. All the negative news I heard about this company (if you even want to call them that) was after I made the purchase. From what I have read, these people should be in jail.

I have faith in Canon and I think my camera will be fine. I will make do with what I got (which is still a good product) and learn from this. But I will never trust time2envy or anything they sell. Their service sucked and I will buy from a more reputable source next time.

Tykimeister is offline   Reply With Quote