Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 23, 2003, 5:42 PM   #1
Default looking for the right digicam for a photo booth

I am building a photo booth, but I have two big problems to solve: for first I can't find a camera which gives me an at least 3 mega pixel resolution when it is connected to the computer via USB. The second is that I need to make a 3x optical zoom over the person's face. I tried with a fuji finepix a303, but it gives me a maximal resolution of 640 x 480 when connected via USB, and besides the optical zoom does not work in this mode.
Could anyone advice me of a camera which can do this?
Is there any other way to get it? Someone told me that it may be connecting it not via USB but via video output.
The zoom must be optical due to the distance the person will be sat.
I need it to be connected permanently because I want to show a continuos image of the person's face.
Thanks for your help!
omar zurita is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2003, 6:10 PM   #2

I'm a little confused at what you are trying to accomplish with the photo booth.

Due to bandwidth constraints, most cameras aren't going to be able to transmit live video at higher resolutions.

However, you can find cameras with remote control software, that let you take photos via a PC.

The Canon G Series cameras allow this. So, you could control the camera with a PC, take full resolution photos (5 Megapixels with the new G5), which are automatically transferred to the PC after the capture.

Steve has a brief description of the remote capture software in his review:

Steve goes on to say this about the software in his conclusion section:

"The Remote Capture software is a feature that may not be frequently used, but will prove invaluable in the right circumstances. Remote Capture allows you to exercise complete control over a tripod-mounted G5 attached to a PC via USB cable. You can preview the image, zoom, adjust camera settings, and release the camera's shutter from your PC. The image is then immediately uploaded, making it available for editing and printing without removing the CF card or initiating a batch upload process. If you've ever had the need to take a series of portrait shots and offer prints to your subjects within minutes, you will love this application."

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 4:39 PM   #3

omar zurita is offline   Reply With Quote