Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:30 PM   #1
Default Is there any camera that's "Fast Enough?"

It seems like part of the review or comment about any camera you can think of complains about the speed of the camera. Whether it be startup, shutter speed, etc...

Are there any that are wicked fast?

The casio QV-R40 had some pretty fast claims but in the testing they don't turn out as good.

mckeand13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:39 PM   #2

Some newer cameras have been reported to have super fast focusing (one of the problems with digital cameras is the time they take to focus).

Personally, although I have missed a few shots due to shutter lag over a year I've gotten to know exactly how long the camera takes to take a picture, and have gotten some well timed shots on a high speed train I travelled on recently...here's one of a crossing arm I took with my Olympus C-700 at 1/250 as the train passed it just to show it is possible:

Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 11:45 PM   #3

Sure, compared to any consumer/prosumer fixed lens digicam, any of the digital SLR's are speed demons.

Fast is a realative word and means different things to different people. For the professional sports shooter fast would be:

Canon EOS-1D, Nikon D1, D1h, Nikon D2, Kodak DCS-720X, and most of the Kodak pro line.

Fast compared to the run of the mill fixed lens digicam would be the Olympus E10/E20 for shutter lag and autofocus speed, the Olympus E-100RS for burst capabilities at full 1.5 mp resolution. Relatively fast would be the Fuji S602Z or the Sony DSC-F707/F717 or several of the Minolta cameras.

It all depends on what you want to do. If you don't need high resolution but need blazing frame speed - nothing - SLR or digicam beats the E-100RS with 15 frames per second full resolution burst. But the limitation is that you get focus, white balance, exposure set on first image and this is what you get for all remaining images. For shooting sports where the action is parallel to the camera and where the subject doesn't run into and out of rapidly changing lighting conditions, this is a jewel. On the other hand the dSLR's change autofocus, have predictive autofocus, change white balance, exposure, etc., between each shot even up to the frame speeds of the EOS-1D (8 frames per second) or D2.

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote