Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 4, 2008, 1:03 PM   #1

Does anyone know a way or a program that works in recovering deleted jpgs from the computer's hard drive. I ran system restore in windows but it won't recover jpgs or other picture files. I accidently deleted a folder with about 300 pics in it., was too big for recycle bin and removed permanently. Please help, I'm sick about this.

deb2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2008, 1:16 PM   #2

i have used this http://www.easyphotorecovery.com/to recover pics from a flash card the became corupt

dont know if its going to help you, but if u know location images where before u deleted the folder then it may be able to help you

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 2:40 PM   #3

You could also try PhotoRec, part of CGSecurity's TestDisk Download.

I've had good luck with it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 3:14 PM   #4

You'll probably want to use a program that allows you to narrow down the folder to restore (many recovery utilities designed specifically for photos will recover all files of a specific type located on the media you're recovering from instead, deleted or not, and won't retain the original filenames, making it very difficult to sort through the results).

Here's a free program you can try. Make sure to read the directions carefully. I'd download the .iso image using another PC, burn it to CD so you can run the program from CD on the PC with a problem, using it to recover the files to a different drive (which could be a USB attached drive if it has enough space on it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 3:03 PM   #5

Ontrack (http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/ ) is arguably one of the best tools for this.

I've used it to recover data from a harddrive with massive FileSystem problems (data problems, not problems with the physical disk) with extremely good results.

Downside is that it comes with a hefty pricetag... the two cheapest "home use" versions are $89 and $199 dollars respectively.

One thing to point out, is that the more times you write to a harddrive post-accidental-deletion, the more difficult it will become to recover the data and laws of probability indicate that the more free space is maintained on a drive, the less likely that deleted data is destroyed permenantly... but this is a technical discussion not really suited for this forum 8)