Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 9, 2008, 1:41 PM   #1

A co-worker of mine brought this site tomy attention after returning from a trip to visit family in China.

Just to give you an idea what the prices are like:

Nikon D200 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Nikkor Zoom Lens (250 Euro)

Other items in the catalog include:
D2H Body: 210 Euro
D1H Body: 180 Euro
D200 Body: 145 Euro
D80 Body: 390 Euro

(There are also many other cameras listed, but as I only have experience with Nikon, that's all I listed)

Has anyone heard of this place? or ordered from them?
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2008, 3:59 PM   #2

Alright, knowing that this is one of the following:
1) an outright scam
2) gray market products
3) non-american models
4) has a major catch
I decided to email them to ask a few questions.

Firstly, shipping cost (I used the D200 with 18-200mm as a reference)
30 Euro

Secondly, is this an american model with a Nikon warranty card
"our product is brand new and original with a warranty card"

I replied again to make the guy confirm (or at least lie) and say that it was a Nikon warranty card.

I've also emailed my co-worker (who is no longer with our company) to find out if she had any experience dealing with them.

I'll keep everyone informed!
Old May 9, 2008, 4:04 PM   #3

So, now we have the "lie?":

Before I place my order, could you confirm that the warranty card is issued by Nikon?

"I askedthe manager she says "yes". If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us."
Old May 9, 2008, 4:05 PM   #4

I'd be very careful and research any vendor carefully.

I've never heard of them. But, if a price looks too good to be true....

There are *many* scammers on the internet with nice looking web sites, luring in customers (or should I say "victimes") with low prices. I'd suggest sticking with a reputable vendor located in the same region you live in when buying a camera (or any other product for that matter).

BTW, even if you do find a gray market Nikon camera at a good price (and the prices advertised usually have a lot of catches, even if it is gray market, so you usually end up paying a lot more unless you want you order to go to backorder status after your card is charged), the regional Nikon distributors like Nikon USA, Nikon Canada and others) will refuse to service a camera that you didn't purchase from an authorized Nikon dealer in your region, buying a camera designed to be sold in the region you live in (even if you are willing to pay them for the service, and they'll know from the camera's serial number).

Suggested Reading:

How to buy a Digital Camera without being robbed

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 4:25 PM   #5

Alright, I've spent the last hour reading google's poor attempts at translating various pages from greek, chinese as well as a few other languages.

The original email is a virus
The site (and several more clones of it such as lxcnd.com) have almost no English references in forums other than this one.
Common consensus is that, not only is it a scam, you will never receive anything other than a dent in your pocketbook.

(Not that I had actually considered placing an order, after reading the T2E thread, I thought it might be worth investigating... I guess I have nothing useful to do!)

With a bit of luck, my time invested will save someone else from being victimized.
Old May 9, 2008, 4:32 PM   #6

Great comments Jim...

(Edit: It's too bad that your comment made it in before my reply to myself, it makes ME look like the sucker who was actually buying into this pipe-dream, but that's fine, I'm used to being the joke :?)

All jokes aside:

This bit of research on my part was conducted on a basis of pure curiosity. I'm personally paranoid of all sales online, and I won't make a purchase where the value exceeds 20 dollars CDN (the maximum value an item can have before we get charged duty and taxes at the border). If I'm going to lose money on a gamble, I prefer that I don't end up paying 10-20% tax on my loss!

As a follow-up comment, for anyone who feels like taking a gamble online (knowing that they may fall victim of a scam) at least follow these rules:

1) anyone who insists on using a bank transfer as a payment method is likely a fraud
2) if there is ANY doubt as to the credibility of the seller, don't use a credit card (and if you MUST, get one of those "prepaid" cards and load it with EXACTLY the amount of the purchase)
3) obviously, no cash, cheques, etc in the mail, but that one should be a no-brainer this day in age!