Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 6, 2008, 2:06 AM   #1

Regards to all, I had some data copied to my pc a few days back and later on found that the hard drive was making some kind of a noise. This was not a problem at first…but now it is!!!!! The hard drive is now corrupted and I need the data back. I know there is software for this purpose but I need a tried and tested one…that one which has been used by you people and was good at its work.

Thanks in advance!!!!
erthami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2008, 5:43 AM   #2

You can try PhotoRec [ http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec ]. It should work on your flash memory card or your hard disk drive.

I think you would have the best chance of recovering photos from the card than the drive, unless you've used the card since. Lots of things can cause a hard disk drive to make noise, and most of them indicate that the drive heads can't be accurately positioned over the surface of the disk. If this is the problem, you won't be able to recover much from the drive.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 8:37 AM   #3

What size drive is it? Internal or External?

Have you got more than one drive? How much free space? BTW, it's probably not FAT16. It's probably either FAT32 or NTFS.

For a failing drive, you need to get an image of it as rapidly as possible. Do not try to run recovery utilities against the drive. Wait until you get a good image (exact copy of it) first. Then, use recovery utilities against the image (or copy the image to a new drive and run recovery utilities against the new drive). That way, they don't have to deal with hard read errors (sector errors, etc.).

I use ddrescue for that purpose. It's a Linux utility.

Basically, it's got the ability to keep a log file of what it's successfully copied so far so you can multiple passes. That lets you make a pass, get what you can while it works around errors, let it cool off, make another pass, etc. Then, after you get a good image of the drive (basically a byte by byte disk image that's identical to the original drive), you can mount the image file as a drive and use utilities designed to recover files when you have a corrupted FAT.

But, you'd need someone that was "Linux Savvy" to work you through that process. There are probably some similar utilities around for Windows somewhere, too. But, I've found ddrescue to be as good as it gets for copying damaged drives with hard errors.

If you scroll down to the comments and look at the "Fast, Fast, effective, and flexible! post by rtpdave - May 16th 2005 18:32:16 on this page, it explains the concept.

See my posts on this page for more info, showing how I used it to recovery data from a failing CompactFlash card.

In a commercial product, you may want to look at GetDataBack:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 12:45 AM   #4

This is now a bit problem….since you are using an older file system I guess you are right…everything wont go on this one. But, I hope that you have tried some….before going on the hunt for a new one. In our office we Recover Lost Files by a software that supports FAT 12, FAT 16, FAT 32, NTFS and NTFSS file systems. This one really works well and is simple to manage…..you don't need to be an expert for that. This will be handy in solving your problem.

Hope this will get the data back!!!!

swejla is offline   Reply With Quote