Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 13, 2008, 7:03 AM   #1

The current trend with P&S cameras is that MP/cm^2 is getting larger and larger and sensors are getting smaller and smaller.

In early 2000s, 1/1.8" was pretty common. Now most P&S cameras have a 1/2.5" or smaller image sensor.

Not everybody needs interchangeable lens.

I do a lot of long exposures within the limitations of my P&S and I can pull off a decent looking photo doing 15,30 or 60 second exp. (only settings permitted on mine) and at ISO 80. If I raise the ISO, graining becomes strong.

Considering APS film camera existed in "compact camera" size, can we hope on a P&S camera with zoom range comparable that to a pocket APS film camera?

I would love to have a P&S that offers low noise photos at higher ISO and most of all, the high dynamic range only available with DSLRs now.

Is there any hope for this as the sensor cost comes down even more?
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2008, 7:07 AM   #2

APS-C size image sensors are big, and require big lenses. All that stuff won't fit in a compact P&S package.

And while smaller image sensors do have the potential to increase noise, they also reduce vignetting and permit simpler lens designs.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 9:12 AM   #3

Photography is always about compromises. A few years ago Sony came out with a fixed lens camera with an APS sized sensor. It was quite heavy and the focal range of the lens was limited, though it did take nice pictures. It didn't sell very well as many people (including me) passed it up for cameras with greater focal lengths, so they quit making it.

It would be wonderful to have a low-noise, relatively small, fixed lens camera. I have a dSLR and would love to have a 300mm lens that weighed a couple of ounces and was no more than 4 inches long too,but because of the physical characteristics of light, lenses and optics, it's not possible for either one of us to have what we want.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 6:34 PM   #4

You mean something like the Sigma DP1?

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote