Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:49 PM   #1

I am considering buying a DMC-TZ4, but my big drawback is that my Fiancee has a DMC-TZ1 that is 2.5 years old and seems to take grainy pictures. It seems to be getting worse and worse as time rolls on as well. I have just read some reviews of the TZ4 on newegg and some folks said they had experienced similar grainy photos.

Does anyone have any idea why this would be? The camera has been cared for extremely well and is in like new condition. It has been traveled with in a hard sided case and everything so I don't think there could be any damage to the optics or anything.

Please let me know if you have suggestions.

Thank you very much.
agentphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2008, 12:02 AM   #2

In general, grainy photos are a result of shooting at higher ISO settings.

The lowest noise is usually found at the camera's lowest ISO setting, and increasing ISO leads to increasing noise. Some cameras handle this better than others, which is why camera reviews include photos taken over the camera's entire ISO range.

Maybe your fiancee should check her camera's settings or the EXIF data of her pictures to see what ISO she is shooting at. If the camera is in a program auto mode (where the camera handles all the settings for each shot automatically), it could be turning up the ISO on dim, available light shots without her even being aware of it.

I don't know how well either the DMC-TZ4 or TZ1 perform in noise vs. ISO tests, but most point 'n shoots perform worse than D-SLR's in this regard.

If clean higher-ISO performance is important to you, check out some reviews that give you some idea of where the ISO performance of this camera falls in comparison to other cameras in it's class -- you know, good, fair, poor....It might be that you can find another camera with similar features that handles higher ISO's better.

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 7:24 AM   #3

Thanks very much for the explanation.

agentphish is offline   Reply With Quote