Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 4, 2003, 1:08 PM   #1
Default Shooting into the sun

I have to shoot pictures of houses for a contract that requires me to turn work orders around in one day. That doesn't allow me the luxury of positioning the sun where I would want it, often forcing me to shoot directly into the sun.

Here are two typical examples of shots I was forced to accept because of time constraints.

I shot these with a Nikon Coolpix 5400 with a Nikon HN-CP10 lens hood attached to it. The lens hood appears to be useless. When the camera is turned on, the telephoto zooms out too far (even at the widest angle) for the hood to block out the sun.

What filter would best help me to reduce or eliminate the sun glare?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
wpla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2003, 1:21 PM   #2
Default Sun Flare

Shooting into the sun is not good no matter what you do! Does the end of your cameras lens have threads to accept filters? If so, you can get a rubber double threaded lens hood that will screw into it & also allow you to screw in a filter too. Ritz/Wolf has them & they are fairly cheap. A Multi-coated Polarizing filter is also a good idea as it will kill most glare & bring out the colors of the trees, sky, etc. Don't get a cheap one (I use the multi-coated Quantaray that you can get at Ritz-Wolf too).

Other things you can do is aim lower when taking the shot & walk around so the sun isn't directly behind the property. Try to shoot along the roof line of the object & eliminate as much of the sun/sky as possible.
Old Oct 4, 2003, 1:40 PM   #3

In that second photo what you could have done is used spot metering (if your camera has it), point the spot location at the house (even if it's not in full frame) until it looks like the right exposure, lock it in (half-press and hold the shutter button), and then continuing to hold the shutter button frame your picture.

Like already said, a hood is a good idea and you may want a polarizer as well to get rid of the glare on the windows. That is, IF you can attach those things to your camera!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 1:46 PM   #4
Default Sun Flare

The camera accepts 77mm filters which screw onto the lens hood. I bought the camera at Ritz and I will take your advice about a rubber double threaded lens hood.

Thanks for the composition suggestions. Actually, I was able to shoot one of the picture examples from a different angle that produced a far better photograph. The second picture was a lot more troublesome because I didn't have as many angle options. It was high noon and almost every angle was problematic.
wpla is offline   Reply With Quote