Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 31, 2008, 6:27 PM   #1

When I play video files from my new cg6 in windows media player they have no sound. On the playback mode in the camara it does have sound. What's the deal?
Frealism is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2008, 1:16 PM   #2

This is because Windows Media Player cannot read the AAC audio codec ( = computer codes to COmress / DECompress multimedia files). I am surprised that WMP can play the video.

The easiest fix - install QuickTime player on the CD included in the Xacti box. I suspect your may have already installed QT player (eg. for iPhone, iMovie, iTouch) because your WMP can also play the video (ie. the new video codec is installed). In this case, you can just use QT to play these Xacti videos.

Problem - the video may not run smoothly on an older, slower computer (eg. Pentium 4 or earlier; < 1 GB RAM etc.): QT is a BIG resource hogger!!

If you have problem with the above, here is another fix - install these two programs:

(1) XVID video codec (another video format, similar to DIVX you may have heard of)

(2) MP4cam2AVI (a video converter that quickly converts the Xacti video from MP4 to XVID format (AVI))

(there is no .EXE to install the program - just unzip and move the folder containing the program into eg. C:/program files where all the other programs are, and make a desktop shortcut)

Transfer video(s) from CG6 to computer, preferrably in the same folder

Run MP4cam2AVI program

"Source file" - choose "*.MP4; *.MOV"

Find video(s) in the above folder - their names will be shown in the box below
right-click to highlight one (or right-click on one, then hold <Ctrl> button and right-click to select many videos)

( I am just going to describe how to load and convert ONE video - you can also join videos but you should read the online manual yourself)

To convert one video - "action" - choose "convert many -> many AVIs"

"video format" - choose "source video (no recompression)"

"audio format" - choose "Lame MP3 Normal (or High) quality"

forget "use advance options"

"target file" - choose folder you want the new video to be placed

Press <START> button

After the conversion, you'll get new videos with the same name as the original MP4 files, located in the same folder. With the XVID codec installed, these videos can play in Windows Media Player, now with sound.

NOTE: there is a Sanyo forum here at Steve's with many posts about the Xacti series hybrid cameras/ digital camcorders, where you may post questions or find answers:

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote