Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:11 PM   #1

I recently upgraded my Canon EOS 20D to an EOS 40D. I still have the 20D as a backup or rugged use camera. I noticed that the auto focusing on the 40D seems to be quite sensitive. THere have been a few instances where I was trying to take a photo and the focus lept going back and forth. It acted like is did not know where to set the focus. Is this a common characteristic of the 40D? I am using the same set of lenses that I had been using with the 20D with no problems. It seemed to have been more noticeable with the 28-135mm lens that came with the 40D.

Any help would greatly be appreciated,
Alfdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2008, 2:02 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I've not heard of this problem. What setting are you using for AF?

I would do some direct comparisons, shoot the same subjects with the same focal length lenses (preferably use the same lens, but if you can cover it with one lens on each then it will speed things up, you can switch lenses from time to time).

I would use only the centre AF point initially and see what happens. To start make sure you are using subjects with a good amount of contrast and then slowly make it more difficult for the AF. This will give you a better idea of what is going on, but basically the 40 should outperform the 20 on AF.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote