Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 15, 2003, 6:35 AM   #1
Default dsc-s50 colors off unless manually adjust need easier camera

I have used my Sony DSC-S50 for ebay photos only until recently. Lately I have been trying to take regular family photos and print them out myself. I have found that when I point and shoot and then print on my HP 7760 photosmart, the colors are just not right. They look washed out and very dull. I can't imagine having to adjust the camera every time a take a photo. How can you do that during a soccer game or at Disney - things are just too spur of the moment for me, and frankly I wouldn't know how or what to adjust anyway. So, I am now looking at a Sony DSC-V1. I have borrowed if for a couple of days to try it out. Of course I immediatly did my point and shoot test. The photo looks alot brighter than when using my camera, but is that worth the $700 price tag? I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, just an easy to use camera that gives great pictures using a very amateur photograper. Any ideas? I'm not too worried about the cost. Thanks, Erin
erinfromjamestown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2003, 7:34 AM   #2

You may also want to inspect your printer color management. Does it allow change of saturation?

You already noticed that the colors are partly to blame to camera model. I have a feeling that some Sony cameras may be a tiny bit too enthousiast with green and this is exactly a problem color for printers; Monitors RGB (Red Green Blue) and printers are CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black). Thus the green any camera produce is translated to the printer into a mixture of Yellow, Cyan and Black...
Again if your printerdriver software allows user profiles with settings like color balance and saturation, you may like to create a special profile for the camera.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 8:11 AM   #3

If the images look OK onscreen and on E-Bay it is likely not completely the cameraís fault if they look dull and washed out when printed. Just about any photo printer lets you adjust the color profile of the printer and that is what you need to do. I suspect you arenít going to be happy with the prints from any camera until you learn how to increase the brilliance of the printer and adjust if for any odd color features of the camera. You only have to do it once and it should be somewhere in the help file or instructions how to do that.

You might also update your driver software. http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwar...bmit.x=6&cc=us
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 9:47 AM   #4
Default thanks

Thanks so much for the help. I use a flatscreen iMac and did color sync it, to no avail. I also was using an Epson photo 820 that I couldn't get tweeked just right, hence the purchase of the hp photosmart. I also spent quite a bit of time on the phone with a Sony rep who suggested manually setting exposure, white balance, etc., which is just way above my head. I went online and grabbed a photo and printed it -- beautifully. When I took a photo with my original Sony S50, dull. The rep said it wasn't the printer. So.....I'm back to replacing the camera.
erinfromjamestown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 2:35 PM   #5
Default Re: thanks

Originally Posted by erinfromjamestown
I use a flatscreen
Assuming you mean LCD vs. flatscreen CRT, LCD's tend to oversaturate the colours and be too bright. It looks OK on your monitor in your photo editing program and Ebay because you are using the same source to look at them, but they may look a little dull to someone looking at them on a CRT.

BTW, you will NEVER get 100% perfect match between monitor and printer...just the nature of the beast. The two devices use different methods of reproducing colour.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote