Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 5, 2008, 11:16 AM   #1

I have had a Sony camcorder for a loooonnng time (approaching 10 years). It cost me a bundle back then - about $2000 if I recall - but it's served me very well. Just last weekend I finished off my "2007 Home Video" editing (call me a slacker!) and the results are perfectly acceptable. I do my editing the slow way, namely through a Pioneer DVD Recorder at my TV. Given the constraints (lack of keyboard, etc) it does take a while but its not too bad.

My needs are pretty simple. I produce an annual home video, edited from the footage I gather from the year, and then edit down to an hour. I've done this for the last 7 or 8 years and the results are bot technically acceptable and a delight as our kids grow up. I still have a regular (non-HD) TV and the aforementioned Pioneer DVD recorder.

But now the time has finally come to start the transition to HD. In moving to HD, I have the following needs.
  • Basic "record everything then keep the the good stuff" approach. I am not a good editor so don't need more than basically cut/divide/insert functionality [/*]
  • I want to create a DVD that I can play on my home TV / DVD recorder at the best possibly quality. [/*]
  • Preferably I'd like to take the edited HD content and additionally record to non-HD format[/*]
  • I want an index on the resultant DVD which tites for each chapter (birthdays, etc)
I plan to move to Blu Ray next year but don't really understand the relationship between Blu Ray and HD. I also plan to move to an HD TVnext year but that's obviously a bigger purchase (I want to research that one fully).

I have always done my editing at the DVD recorder but may think about moving to a PC (I am technically pretty savvy on a PC) if that helps. I dont even know if HD recorders (dedicated, not PC) exist yet. I am concerned about needing to upgrade my PC at this time (will do it if absolutely necessary but would like to avoid short term). I have a 2Ghz laptop with 2GB RAM.

Here's the rub. I just bought a Sanyo HD1010 (portability is a big factor in my purchase decision). I now find myself unsure of what I need to edit video produced by that camcorder.
  • Short term, can I feed it's content to my (non-HD) Pioneer recorder and then just edit as I currently do? [/*]
  • If so, what is the best resolution I should shoot at (I assume I can't shoot at the highest and then "downconvert" when I pump the content to the Pioneer, right)? [/*]
  • Longer term, what would I need to edit the content on a PC and then create a DVD that I can play on a new Blu Ray player? [/*]
  • As a secondary consideration, I send my current DVD's to my family in the UK and since they seem to have a "region free" DVD player they can watch my non-PAL content just fine. I'd really like to retain that (they have a Blu Ray player already).[/*]
Anyway, if there are any folks who can walk me through this that would be most appreciated. The Sanyo is still within its return period but I am hoping this can be worked out such that I can justify keeping it.

MarkWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:47 PM   #2

No-one? Or does anyone have a pointer to another forum that might be more relevant for questions such as this?

MarkWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 3:53 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Hi Mark,

Sorry to say we are pretty much a stills forum, however there is a section for hybrid cameras with some pretty knowledgeable people there who might be able to help, check it out.

Oh and welcome to Steve's.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 9:51 PM   #4

If you videos are on DVDs or in file formats that you and inport on your desktop computer you may want to look at honestech VHS to DVD 3.0 Deluxe as a possible way to edit down your footage. You can work with one clip at a time and edit to save only the footage you want and then combined them into mpeg format. You would need a sperate DVD burner application in order to create the actual finished DVD. The honstech is available at Sams Club, Walmart and Big Lots for about $40.

I use the program in order to save TV shows and movies (cutting out all the commericals etc) first from my original recording that is on a DVD-RW)before I save the files onto a DVD. You;d be surprised how much space ou can save by not having the commericals and wasted space at the begin and end of the hour.....

Sorry I don't use camcorders or Blue Ray equipment, so I can't be of any more help.

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:47 PM   #5

im not sure im fully understand you, but i typically use KINO, Aivdemux, Virtualdub and MediaCoder for such needs.
for import from analog sources - many TV-tuners quite capable[4personal needs - up 2 480 lines and even to 576]
both DVD-recorders technically can record anything you want[what can fit by size].
and about HD - HD more stick to resolution itself, than media. in many aspects HD-DVD - superior to Blue-Ray drives, but its nevrmins, while multistandart recorders become available.
SkyShoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote