Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

View Poll Results: How often do you use Live View on your DSLR?
Always. 0 0%
75% of the time. 0 0%
50% of the time. 1 33.33%
25% of the time. 0 0%
Never. 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 14, 2008, 6:26 PM   #1

Just curious. I'm getting a new DSLR soon and one of my choicesdoes not have live view.I'm guessing it'suseful for tripod mounted shots, but I rarely use a tripod.

Thanks for participating.

casualsnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2008, 7:33 PM   #2

My current DSLR has the feature. I've owned the camera for a year and a half and I've never tried it a single time.

It is most useful for still macros / product shots / shallow-dof portraiture with tripod. It allows for very precise focusing when you have lots of time to do that focusing.

It's less useful to use like you use a digicam - simply from a weight/stability aspect. Holding a DSLR and lens like a digicam isn't a stable shooting position given the weight of the camera.

Again - for me, it's a completely useless feature but others I'm sure feel differently.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 8:28 PM   #3

I've had my D300 since May...I used live view a few times when I first got the camera just to see how it worked. I found it cumbersome and non-intuitive, and haven't used it since, even with macro shots. That being said, I would probably use it if Nikon did a better job of implementing the feature.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 2:19 AM   #4

I had the A300 for a few months but then upgraded to the A700. I only used the live view on the A300 a few times but now that I have the A700 I don't find myself really missing the live view very much. But I will say there have been times where live view would have came in handy, but you can still make it work.

So I guess it would depend on what type of pics you are planning on shooting.

my .02
firstascent is offline   Reply With Quote