Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 19, 2003, 11:45 AM   #1
Default Why?

Why do camera manufactures continue to make "point and shoot" cameras with settings that are only accessable from the LCD menue? Then the LCD has not got any anti-reflective coating and no provision for a sun shield? So ok you have a nice optical viewfinder but if it is a nice bright day so what? you can not see the menu in your LCD to take advantage of any of the settings. Sure we have all gone the sticky route with add on hoods for a make shift solution but now we are into a new century. I tell people who want to "go digital" to ask the sales person if they can take the camera outside and look thru the viewfinder and then at the LCD and if they can not "see" much of anything, DON'T BUY IT!
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2003, 11:55 AM   #2

That is one of my gripes with my Oly C50. There is certainly enough room on the top of the camera for a B&W LCD status window, and those can be read easily. Iíve learned to do some things by counting the button pushes, but there are only so many you can remember. Having a couple or three custom modes on the dial would help. Of course the C50 isnít point and shoot. I donít see what difference it makes with a true point and shoot.

Another irritation is the size of the LCD. If Casio can put a 2 inch LCD on their tiny Z4 there isnít any excuse for having small postage stamp 1.5 inch LCDs to make all the settings in.

I guess some anti-reflection coatings are better than others, but Iíve never seen a LCD I could use for settings in bright sunlight.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 11:59 AM   #3

My camera (Kodak DX4330) was advertised as having an "indoor/outdoor display" that can be seen in daylight also. To some extent this is true and when the sun is really bright, believe it or not, the best way to see the LCD is pointing it directly to the sun. It seems to have some kind of reflective back. Of course, this is not nearly as good as seeing the LCD with its own backlight but at least it works pretty well for dealing with menu settings.

I guess the reason that in these cameras the settings are mostly found in the menus is to reduce the cost of manufacturing since you will have less mechanical parts to assemble.

However, scene mode should be something available right there without having to dig into a menu. Nothing beats switching modes by turning a knob on the camera (like mine does) in a hurry. My only gripe is that custom settings are lost when switching modes. Fortunately, flash settings are restored with a push button on the camera without digging into a menu.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote