Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 21, 2003, 12:51 PM   #1
Default Olympus C2100 trash bound? Need a new camera!

Well I posted this in the Olympus forum too but it seems that this one gets a lot more action...
I have a C2100 Ultra Zoom. It's a good camera, or it has been good until last week. At first, the pictures started coming out brown. We adjusted the light and thought the problem was solved. Now, about half of the pictures turn out blurry. It seems to be a problem when the camera is about 2-3 feet away from the object being photographed.

Is this one headed to the trash? How is Olympus service and repair?

Presuming I'll need to buy a new one- let's get some opinions on the new camera.

We need an EXCELLENT macro ability, good storage capacity (1400 pictures or more which I know can be resolved with a bigger card) easy interface (no software, just like USB or direct connect or upload to a car reader) resolution is not an issue since the pictures will only be viewed online in a web browser, I think 2.0 MP is way more than sufficient. Something sturdy that will be in an industrial environment and needs to be below $500

Any ideas? Experience with camera good or bad? Thanks!
podster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2003, 1:25 PM   #2

Given the criteria you mention, the Panasonic FZ1 would be perfect.

You can find it online for about $369. Go to eBay and look for auctions on the FZ1 or try this:

[NOTE: I've never used Vann's, so I can not vouch for them, but they do have a "10" on ResellerRatings.com]
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 2:04 PM   #3

Olympus repair has always been good for me. The cost of repair could be around $350. You can call and they can provide you with a fixed repair cost. I would suggest that you not trash the camera but sell it on Ebay as a camera needing repairs. There are many people who would rather to have a Uzi repaired than replace the camera.

Panasonic is also releasing the FZ10, 12X optical zoom 4mp and IS. The camera will be released in Nov but there is a line forming with pre orders. If you have time to wait you may want to wait. The camera is to retail at about $600.

The Minolta A1 also has a form of IS, 5 mp, 7X optical zoom and costs about $1100

Olympus makes the Oly C750Z, 10X optical zoom, 4mp, full of auto and manual features, It does not have IS. Cost is less than $500.

Hope this helps.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 12:54 PM   #4

My reply is in the Olympus forum.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 11:22 AM   #5

The Panasonic DMC-FZ2 (if you can get it) adds some manual controls to the DMC-FZ1. The upcoming DMC-FZ10 looks to be a better camera but it has an MSRP of $600 (although some outfits let you preorder for $550).

Another option is looking on ebay for another UZI.

The next price tier for a stabilized long reach is the 300D with Canon's IS 75-300 lens for over $1300.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote