Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 21, 2003, 5:48 PM   #11

I have the same problem. Though not THAT often...

it sucks. Canon will be my next printer unless epson make some research breakthrough.
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 7:47 PM   #12

You guys must be using some really bad ink (or you're refilling cartridges)! I've owned two Epsons, Stylus Colour 600 & 880, and my parents own a 670...never had any of those problems in use (either frequent or infrequent printing). Unless other brands have improved (doesn't look like it) my next printer will also be an Epson.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 8:09 PM   #13

My best guess, is that it has something to do with the very tiny dot sizes that Epson uses on their Photo Printers. The non photo dedicated (Stylus vs. Stylus Photo) line may be OK.

Yes, the smaller dot sizes can help quality, but at the expense of frequently clogged nozzles.

BTW, I never refilled my cartridges -- only used Epson brand.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 11:09 AM   #14

Many thanks all of you.
It appears there is no realy lasting solution other than to buy another make of printer or invent a non clogging ink!!!
I might try filling a cartridge with alchohol, then if it doesn't work I can drink the rest.

Have fun, Tink.
Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 11:20 AM   #15

Non-clogging ink would also be non-drying ink.

Think about it

Epson clogs are the reason that I have been a clog-free Canon user for the past two years. By the time the average Epson uses has done his required "pump up" cycle my Canon has made a 13x19" size print :shock:

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 12:28 AM   #16

Originally Posted by voxmagna
Thanks - it would seem there's a lot of discussion as to what Windex actually is. It's amazing what people will try and stuff in their print heads! Seems the DIY make your own is Ammonia and soap based - pretty aggressive stuff! I think I'll stick with the Eco friendly alcohol - but thanks for the enlightenment. VOX
I have used windex as well as similar generic window cleaners and have heard of many others doing the same. I have never heard of it damaging a print head. Still, if you want something mild, you might want to try this stuff, it is about as mild as you are going to get.
It dries very slow so you would be safe doing head cleaning cycles to fill the head with it, and then leave it in the head for a little while. I once had some drafting pens that had sat for about a year and a half with ink in them. With the help of an ultrasonic cleaner (and lots of soaking), I managed to them working again using this cleaner. It is a little thick but you can thin it with distilled water.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 5:20 AM   #17

Try tonezoneuk.com. They sell cleaning cartridges for the Epson 740. I had the same problem when I had a 740. This company is very good and dispatch same day they receive order.

David Elson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 8:58 AM   #18

It is said that if you always leave your Epson printer always on even oon holliday, it will do the cleaning dance if nescassery even if it is in sleep mode.
That said I will not try it, it counter speaks energy saving words and more important it contradicts firedepartment safety rules; never leave equipment in sleep mode on when leaving the house for holliday.

Using a cleaning inkt tank makes more sense, but then you also need cartridge chip resetter. Seems some Epsons don't even bother to go into clean mode after swapping cartridge if the inserted one is declared used up.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 9:24 AM   #19

I used to work for EPSON, and from what I've heard, the printer dumps out a fourth (1/4) of the ink whilst charging. It's another process of cleaning the heads, but when you think of the many pages you could've printed with that ink it really is a waste!

It's a common problem for EPSON printers to have their heads clogged, and I have had my share of customers complaining about their printers. What I know is that if you aren't going to be printing anything for the better half of a normal week, try going for a CANON or HP brand printer. Yeah sure the consumables cost more, but are the savings worth the hassle?

For me, no.
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 12:25 PM   #20

My thanks to all, especially David Elsom.

I have ordered the cleaning cartridges and I will use them next time I change carts.

Again. Many thanks. Tink.
Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote