Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 16, 2009, 4:15 PM   #11

While at CC this weekend they had several Canon lens for 40% off however I went to another CC about 10 miles away and they had no Canon lens and the ones they had were 30% off. Odd but whatever. So it's very hit and miss on what is there at the stores and what percent they have things marked down.
YellowTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:42 PM   #12

YellowTJ wrote:
Quote:
While at CC this weekend they had several Canon lens for 40% off however I went to another CC about 10 miles away and they had no Canon lens and the ones they had were 30% off. Odd but whatever. So it's very hit and miss on what is there at the stores and what percent they have things marked down.
Thedifference seems to between signage and computer.

Computer (cashier) is correct, signage sux.

I got my Sony SAL70-300G at 30% off, but the store signage said 10%. Fortunately one of the clerks spoke up about the difference between accessories and cameras and the computer confirmed the information.

At my local CC, one of the clerks was walking around the store last Thursday changing signs. The change had occurred on Thursday AM and 10 hours later the signs were still being changed. When I went back on Saturday I noticed a couple signs that had been missed. Not that it matter the stuff was gone.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 9:20 AM   #13

I've been in 6 different CC's and there have been differences in each one. One accelerated the discounts...it was 10% ahead of the rest and closed on Monday. Most are either out of DSLR's or down to display models. The olympus DSLR's seemed to be the ones that are still around, although there are some D80's out there or displays missing pieces. I don't think any in the Cincinnati area will be open much past the first week in march. I've done pretty good...gotten some flash memory pretty cheap, picked up an Oly E-510 and flash, a Canon G10 and some Nikon En-EL3E batteries all at well under regular retail. There are still 2 more for me to visit so I may not be done.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 7:44 PM   #14

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
it was 10% ahead of the rest and closed on Monday.

Yikes.

Did you visit just prior to the closing, thus being able to judge the inventory level when they pulled the plug?

When Gordon Brothers did the Tweeters stores.... the closing was very quick as theemployees thought they still had a job for another week or two.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:32 AM   #15

StevieDgpt wrote:
Quote:
rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
it was 10% ahead of the rest and closed on Monday.

Yikes.

Did you visit just prior to the closing, thus being able to judge the inventory level when they pulled the plug?
I went in on Sunday, the day before they closed. There was probably less than 5k of merch left..no tv's, camera's, nothing worth buying. Mostly simple accessories, car stereo install kits and fixtures. Two others in the area probably looks like they'll be shutting down in a week or so. the other 3 I've been to, still have decent selection left, although the cameras are pretty much picked clean.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:47 PM   #16

Thursday, Feb 19 Update:

Sad, Sad, Sad.

The local CCis major stripped down.

DVD's and Bluerays have been moved into the same section as the games. And there aren't many games left behind. Bluerays are essentially gone and DVD's are in 7 (?)sections of 4' gondolashelving.

If you want Hancock, The Dark Knight or another recent major release.... don't worry there are plenty left. Dozens upon dozens of copies all at 50% discount.

Store signage says 30-60% (except Ipods which are 10%), but I saw nothing at 60%. And I didn't see any Ipods and very few Ipod accessories.

Cameras are all gone.Except they are not. An Olly and Sony lens (NIB) were discovered somewhere in the back or wherever and arenow in the locked cases. Same with a single copy of the Canon 40D ($909 with 28-135 lens, or I think it is the 28-135 lens. I do know it is one of theCanon kit lenses).The Sony lens is the 75-300, which at 50% off is actually a good deal if you are satisfied with the lens. Didn't catch the model of the Olly lens, just know for sure it wasa Zuiko lens. Regardless which model of lens it may be, it is50%off.

Were also a couple video cameras in the locked bin due to the consolidation of the store.

Already mentioned the DVDs. Well everything in the store is being consolidated. Large sections of display shelving and surrounding rows are being taped off and the content of those shelves and rows are either gone or have been moved elsewhere.

Camera bags are gone. A couple P&S bags left.

IF I had to guess, I suspect this store will not reopen on Monday.If they do, the only possible way is if another store in mystate is closed and consolidated with this store. Even so, it would have to be quick asI essentially have no reason to go back.

Oh sure I could grab the Canon 40d. ButI don't need the camera. The price is right for the 75-300, but I have no real need for the lens.

I will most likely return just to watch. Which is better than the punk visiting the store tonight. Realize most of the people working at CC are young, mostly college age (18-22) and maybe even a couple younger than 18. Same age dude walks in and announces to the world: "I am sure glad I work at Wal-Mart, ain't no way I am going to loose my job because Wal-Mart can't close".

No, the CC employees didn't kick the guys arse. They should of, but they didn't.