Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 16, 2009, 2:02 PM   #11

They also have a short course called the Fundamentals of Digital Photography which covers a lot of the same topics only in less depth. It is 16 weeks & about a third of the price. So I thought that would be the best one for me to take but then found out that it is only offered through the U.S. & not in Canada. I'm not sure if I would have trouble getting materials across the border if I did sign up for it. Does anyone have experience with this?
jvanwees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:06 PM   #12
Default Nyip

Wedding Nut have you completed the course yet? My current employment is that of a chef and I figured I could intergrate photography into it. Im checking out my local community college but dont really have the time to go to class. So Ive started researching online schools. I always thought they were a scam but have read a bunch of positive reviews. Please let me know your final thoughts.
tirednoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:52 AM   #13

I am in the same situation, in Canada and want to take a photography course with some credibility. Any new results to report on this topic.
Riverview, NB, Canada
Current equipment
Pentax K7, K5, K3:
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-PM1, E-PL1, E-P2, E-P5: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 1:49 PM   #14
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I've read some good reviews for the NY Institue of Photography which is a DVD based course but has live interactions with a coach for critques, etc. A bit pricey thought...close toUS$1000...I think.

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 7:51 PM   #15

when you find the cost, can you let us know!!
bozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:14 AM   #16

How about a general learning course for beginners? I found one that looks good.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2011, 6:45 PM   #17

Has anyone had any experience with the www.schoolofphotography.com ?

Norval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2011, 6:49 PM   #18

I am self-taught semi-pro and wanted to get into wedding photograghy. I cannot seem to find an on-line course specifically for that other than www.schoolofphotography.com . Their course is $280 and seems very in-depth from what I have seen but if anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated.

Norval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:51 AM   #19

Have you also tried looking at Henry's or Vistek (similar to B&H Photo in the US....just the Canadian Versions)? Sometimes they offer seminars where professional photographers give lectures on specific topics. There's a cost to each seminar you attend but that may also be helpful. Also, some photographers studios like Rowell's in Barrie, Ontario provide one on one day seminars (4-8 hours) with tips and tricks not only with direct shooting but also in post processing...for a cost, however.

Either way, Henry's or Vistek should be able to advise you of accreditation offered in your area which you can research.
Olympus E-PL5 45mm 1.8, 60mm macro and Panny 25mm 1.4

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:52 PM   #20

Any courses that help you learn and advance your skills and knowledge are good!

However it depends what you are looking for in a diploma/degree/certificate.
The ones from the online/mail places look nice but won't be very helpful in landing you jobs with working studios. (well maybe at Wal*mart or Sears)

If you want a real degree that might help you land entry level assisting positions with active photographers look to Brooks or RIT in the US or Ryerson in Canada.

All are 2 to 4 year on campus courses.

Brooks Institute
Rochester Institute of Technology

In Canada
Ryerson University

Professional photography in recent years has become a major cutthroat business anymore,
Fairly easy to break into, but very difficult to stay there and not go broke in short order.

Probably why groups like this have formed "Photographers demanding mandatory certification"

For what it is worth, the NYip courses are good to get you learning in an systematic organized fashion, they will improve your photography skills..

Imaging is all about light and your ability to sculpt it.
Equipment is just a secondary nuisance.

Last edited by PeterP; Jun 3, 2011 at 1:22 PM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote