Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 26, 2003, 10:50 PM   #1
Default Minolta 7Hi Indoor Sports Photos - Help!!

Have owned my 7Hi for about 2 months now and have been overall pleased with the camera and its image quality (especially outdoor photos).

I recently took a trip with the family to an indoor waterpark in Traverse City, Michigan and most of my photos turned out poorly even when flashed was used - dark and many out of focus. There wasn't a lot of lighting besides that coming in from windows.

My son also plays hockey and I would like to be able to take more action shots of him that turn out well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am a novice at this but love to take pictures. My wife would be much happier if more of the pictures turned out well.
dakzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2003, 4:50 AM   #2

It sounds like you don't have a slow shutter speed movement problem since the flash is used...

If the photos are dark, you're probably out of range for the flash. Was the camera's build-in flash use? It's max range is only about ~9ft (@ ISO100). You'll probably need an external unit with a more powerful reach!

As for focus most cameras of this type will have problem with action shots especially in dark environments: Either pre-focus on something static close-by and recompose for the shots, or flip the camera to manual focus (you'll find that its shutter release will also react much faster as well). A more powerful flash will let you shoot at higher aperture value which will increase the depht of field hence improving your focus range as well... :P

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote