Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 31, 2002, 7:44 PM   #1
Default Whats the difference between 1,024 x 768 and 640 x 480??

I want to know cause I dont know wether to buy a 32 or 64, are the images good quality when they are 1,024 x 768??? or ? 640 x 480??? IS THAT THE SIZE??
BRAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2002, 9:25 PM   #2

That's the size in pixel. It does not affect quality (note however that you can't put so many information in a 10x10 picture) but it can affect the print. As you print in 300 pixels per p... (pouce? inches?), so most pixels you have in the image, the bigger you can print without loosing in quality.
noctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 9:53 AM   #3

Buy the largest memory card you can get for your camera. Spending a little more now will be to your advantage.

As for image size I find it usually better to take pictures at the higher resolution. If you choose to crop or resize smaller for web use you'll have that flexibility. Printing is another issue. 640x480 images won't print well much bigger than 3"x4" without showing jaggies. A 1024x768 image should make an okay 5x7. If your camera can take larger images I'd advise you to take them at the higher resolution as you can always crop and resize smaller. You can't make the images larger without losing quality.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 11:42 AM   #4

it's both.

the first value (640) is the total number of pixals in width. the second number (480) is the height in pixals. as you increase the number 1024x728 1600x1200 and up you increase the resolution and quality of the image. this is the same as your monitor at home.
i run my monitor at 1280x960 pixals. no blocky pixalated letters. smooth images

most cameras have a second value called quality. this controls the compression of the image to the card. all cameras use a format called jpeg (.jpg) this format can be compressed at varying qualities. if you increase compression your image qaulity suffers but you have more space available in the mem card.

if your camera has an ultra fine and or raw setting compression is not available.
ultrafine generally uses another hi res format called tiff (.tif). this format does not compress well at all. on a 5 mega pixal camera 1 tiff image is about 14MB so on a 256 MB card we get between 17-18 images of outstanding quality.
raw (not available on all cameras) this is pixal for pixal what the camera saw without any processing. size is generally 9-11 MB.requires external software to process into a useable image. the software is either a standalone or a extension of photoshop or both.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote