Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 29, 2009, 9:09 AM   #1
Default Alaska Inside Passage - Time Lapse port transit pictures

My wife and I have been on the in side passage cruise to Alaska twice, and we are considering going again this year (a week out of the Arizona heat is great!!!). We usually get a balcony cabin - its more, but we really enjoy it. I recently upgraded to a Pentax K20, but kept my K100 as a backup. With 2 camera bodies, I am considering taking both, in particular to use the K100 on a clamp assembly to the balcony railing, in order to take a series of time lapsed (20 seconds to 1 minute apart) images when transiting in and out of ports, using the kit lens and a large SD card. I was thinking of putting a plastic bag around it, and wrapping the camera strap around the railing (I would hate to loose it overboard, its still a wonderful camera).

Has anyone tried this before? If so how did it work and any additional suggestions?
Clamp -

Shutter Release -
I had run across something similar on a tanker leaving port, using a 10 second interval, mounted on the bridge. I just found a couple of examples....

Last edited by interested_observer; May 29, 2009 at 9:22 AM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2009, 10:13 AM   #2

The clamp looks like one I used years ago when flying to Europe. So yes, I can verify that the idea works well. Secondly, with a 1kg (2.2pounds) weight limit on that design, you should easily fall into a workable range. Personally, I would give it a try.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 1:51 PM   #3

That clamp is a neat idea but I don't think it would support my A-700 with the 80-400mm lens aboard. Something a little more robust would be interesting.
I can speak for the Opteka remote. I have one and it works very nicely. I can aim the camera set up on my patio at some fixed and shot from the side yards or in the house. I have had the house between me and the camera and it has yet to miss a picture.
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote