Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 30, 2009, 7:42 AM   #1
Default Holster/ Toploader bags

Hi, Has anyone had any bad experiences with "toploader holster type" camera bags. I have a DSLR with a 18-200 zoom with protector filter fitted and I am thinking of getting a Toploader but I am a bit concerned about having the body weight sitting on top of the lens.
What do you think "bad idea" ??
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2009, 11:36 AM   #2

I don't use one of these, but I do, on occasion, 'park' my camera on its lens and haven't experienced any problems. A *istD with battery grip is no helium balloon, either.
The only problem I could foresee would be the possiblility of getting a smudge on your filter when inserting or withdrawing the camera.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 8:54 PM   #3

Many of the "toploaders" actually support the body leaving the lens hanging from the body. Here's a drawing of one of the Tamrac bags of this type:

Unless the lens is overly long for the bag, it doesn't touch the botton of the compartment.

The only issue I've had with toploaders is when using them as waist bags. Most that have belt provisions, either loops or built in belt, have the belt too low on the bag leaving it top heavy. They then tend to tip outward too much. They handle better when the strap attachment point, either belt or shoulder, is above the lower face of the camera body.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote