Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:24 AM   #21

I have 3 Nikons and an old Qlympus. Still use the Nikon Coolpix cameras, since none of them have ever given me any trouble.

The oldest is the Nikon 4300.

On trips I take the Nikon 8800 and the 8700 for backup. If you are not familiar with the old 8800, its understandable. Nikon only made it for a short time (1 year). Apparently it competed too much with their DSLR cameras at that time.

The 8800 has an all metal body, 10x zoom, optical stabilized lens, 8.0 MP sensor, tilting and pivoting LCD display that can close and protect the surface, automatically switching to the eye-level viewfinder, built-in remote control, external flash hot shoe, etc, etc.

I have caried it all over Japan, China, Hong Kong, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Turkey, etc, without any problems.
Love Nikon Cameras.
Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:37 AM   #22

Good grief, that was well ahead of its time!

How much did it cost (we'll all be horrified), and how much does it weigh?

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 4:47 PM   #23

I have a Panasonic Lumix with the Leica Lens that was bought Dec., 2004. I guess that makes it 3.5 years old, not quite 5 years old. Still works fine.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 5:18 PM   #24

"I guess that makes it 3.5 years old..."

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2009, 1:22 PM   #25

Epson PhotoPC 800

Not sure why, but lately started to get a 'blotched' grayed-out area. And was eating batteries fast.

But, took a lot of nice snaps over the last couple years. I inherited it from a friend who had updgraded.
Brigid O'Shaughnessy: I haven't lived a good life. I've been bad, worse than you could know.

Sam Spade: You know, that's good, because if you actually were as innocent as you pretend to be, we'd never get anywhere.
show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 11:15 AM   #26

I had a Kodak DC4800 until last year, when I sold it and the tele, wide, and macro converter lenses as a kit to a friend. It was their first digital camera for the family, and it is still going strong. They are even using the original LiIon batteries (one for camera, one for spare). The children in the family use it the most.

I had one problem with it. I used an old external flash connected to the PC sync port and fried the power supply. I had that fixed, and no problems after that.

Looking back on it, I find it interesting that the zoom range (3x) is 28mm to 84mm equivalent. While that range is rather short for my wants/needs, the 28mm equiv. is now quite popular. My Canon G9 and A620 start at 35mm equiv.

denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2009, 5:21 PM   #27

I have a Casio QV-2800, 2Mpixel, 8x optical zoom. I still use it every now and again, as the macro mode is superb!!!!
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2009, 10:32 PM   #28

How about a Canon Pro90 IS... 10X stabilized zoom? Still have the original box and an additional lens. This camera has a whopping 2.6 megapixel sensor. It still works great. I loaned it to my son till he got a DSLR. A great camera with all the bells and whistles available in its day. I have successfully printed a bunch of 13X19 prints from this camera...
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2009, 7:39 AM   #29

How about almost 10 years ... and the family Sony DSC S70 still works flawlessly and does an excellent job ... often better than the smaller-lensed higher MP P&S cameras available more recently. Amazingly, it has produced a number of high IQ 13x19 prints. But while still going strong in hand-me-down hands, the poor thing has not been used much since earlier this year when it and our still working six-year-old DSC P10 were replaced by a new Sony T500 and a new W170. Hopefully, these two fallouts from the last day of the Circuit City bankruptcy sales will last also. For shirtpocket cameras, they produce outstanding shots.

Also counting six years and going strong is our used-daily backup to our pro Canon cameras, the Sony DSC F828. Now that is one fine camera and while it does not have interchangable lenses, it sure thinks its a high quality dSLR and produces outstanding prints often on a par with its 5dMkII and other bag mates.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 6:40 PM   #30

Hi, I have an Olympus 2020 that I bought in 2000 still going strong. I bought it after much reading of reviews on this sight. It was a refurbished when I bought it. It's batteries are still doing a great job holding charges.
Gerrie is offline   Reply With Quote