Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 13, 2009, 8:10 AM   #1
Default downsizing an image.

This is probably a verysilly question.
When I take photos I do not necesarily expect to send them as E mail attachments so I shoot on the highest quality setting which can result in large file sizes. If I then WANT TO SEND THESE AS e MAILS THEY EXCEED yAHOO'Sdownload limit. Is there a way to make these thes files smaller ??
dentonspooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2009, 8:45 AM   #2

If you only want them to be able to view an image, then downsizing can work fine. You can use many image editors to resize an image, including the free Irfanview

After you open an image using File>Open, go to Image>Resize/Resample. Leave the box checked to retain the original aspect ratio (dimensions of width to height), and make the longest side around 800 pixels (and you can make it smaller or larger as desired).

After you resize it, use the File>Save As menu choice to save it. Select jpeg as the file type, and set the jpeg quality to around 80% on the slider you'll see for it. Give it a new filename (so that you don't overwrite your original).

If they need a larger image (and you'll want larger if they need to print it versus view it on screen), you may want to consider uploading your images to a photo sharing site.

I use http://www.pbase.com (but, there are a number of other photo hosting services).

If you use online albums, then you don't need to worry about e-mailing copies (you can send links to the images instead).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2009, 10:08 AM   #3
Default thank you

thank you very helpful
dentonspooner is offline   Reply With Quote