Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 4, 2003, 10:53 AM   #1
Default New Camera - Nikon 5400?, Canon G5?, or other?

This is for family use. Lots of kid pics, etc...
Upgrading from Toshiba 2.0mp
My wife does not like the very slow response of Toshiba from press to flash (autofocus time?)
Want full features yet easy to use...
Like good zoom range...
Like ability to add wide angle lens and filters...
Want good pictures indoors and out...

I am leaning toward Canon because it seems to have greater flexibility (ie. external flash, add filters and lens adapters), but I am concerned about the response of the camera. I tried it out in Fry's and seemed to have trouble capturing my three year old running around the isle - he was out of the image before the picture took.

Any input or recommendations are appreciated

Hoegenauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2003, 11:27 AM   #2

I am not sure that any camera will take a picture of a three year old running indoors in the auto mode. You can change to manual mode and eliminate the lag time. You can also reduce the shutter lag by depressing the shutter half way to allow the camera to focus the press the shutter button fully. I have posted some the pictures of our church's Funny Face Festival that show children jumping and sliding down a ballon slide. www.pbase.com/gibsonpd3620

click on the link to the Funny Face Festival.

The G5 has received some critisim for noise. The G3 seems to be the better of these two cameras. Nikon's 5700 has an eight X optical zoom. You can also add lens and filters to the camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2003, 9:46 PM   #3

You can also reduce the shutter lag time by not using the LCD screen.

But if your 3 year old is anything like my two year old I'm not sure that any P&S camera is going to do a good job. I gave up and bought a dSLR to get those kids doing cute things shots.

A trick I've used in the past is to set the camera to take bracketed shots of only 1/3 of a stop +or-. Photoshop will fix the exposure afterwards but it does allow me to get 3 shots in quick succession, hopefully one captures the moment.

What would be really nice is digicam that uses a shutter like a dSLR but in a P&S size body, leave the LCD preview behind. I want a digital rangefinder (digiCanonet?) to go with my Digital Rebel.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote