Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 16, 2009, 9:50 PM   #1
Default Problem Jpeg, is there a solution?

I just got back from a baseball ball game, I took over 200 photos on my Canon s3 and before going, I inserted a brand new 16 GB sd card. I forgot to format it, and started shooting away.

When I got home much to my chagrin, there were all error 'corrupt' jpegs on the card this is what it looked like... any chance of a fix for these?

Below is a link to the image the way it came out:

RSBaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:46 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I don't think things look good as it seems that the majority of the data is missing. I've moved this to the General Q&A section where you should get more replies.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 5:47 AM   #3
Default jpeg problem...

The dimensions of the original photo included the full size the photo normally around 2.3 mb is is intact when I upload the photo from the camera. Most of the area is gray, but I was reading somewhere on the web that spoke about corrupt headers being the problem but I am not sure. I even had a hex editor open the photo and inspect it, but I am not sure what to tweak in the editor so I just left the copy alone.

This is a scaled down version of the original but I hope something can be done with it as I had my picture taken with a pro baseball player of old, it means a lot to me.
RSBaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 6:09 AM   #4

I'd try copying the files from the card using a recovery utility that ignores the file allocation table, in case the images on the card are OK (you could have a File Allocation Table corruption issue where the card has lost track of where the "pieces" of each image are stored).

I'd suggest that you download and install this software for the operating system you're using (Windows, Mac, Linux). It's free. You'll see a download menu choice on the left side of the main page. Then, just click on the desired operating system to download it.

Use a card reader and select your memory card from the list of media it finds (hard drives, memory cards, etc.), and give it a place to save the photos to on your hard disk when you are asked "Where to Save Recovered Files" (it defaults to saving recovered files in subfolders under Photorec, where the software is installed on your hard drive, but you can change it to something else if desired). Note that this product does not retain the original file names (but, you may not care about that), since it ignores the file allocation table entirely.

Don't worry about changing any of the other options. Just leave everything else at the defaults (Partition type, file types to recover, etc.) and it will try to recover any files that haven't been overwritten yet (and don't try to do anything like take more photos or you may overwrite some of them).

Here's a page showing you how to use this software:

There are some other free programs around that do a pretty good job in most cases, too. Here's one example (and it also has a nice Graphical User Interface). I usually prefer photorec. But, if you're not comfortable with a text based interface, you may want to try this one first instead.

After you recover your images (and make sure you can see the larger images, not just the thumbnails), I'd make sure you format the card again before using it, using the camera's menu choice for format.

I do that every time I reuse a card (format it again using the camera's menu choice for format). That way, the card always starts out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), just the way the camera expects it, since the camera is performing the format.

If your camera's menu choice for format is unable to format it, try this utility (you'll see a download link at the bottom of the page):

But, make sure your images are recovered from it first.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote