Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 11, 2003, 9:59 PM   #1
Default I need a digital point and shoot Camera

I'm a amateur photographer and currently have a Minolta HTsi plus SLR. I am looking for a plain and simple point and shot digital camera that I can carry in my pocket. (Plus, I am tired of my wife buying those cheezy disposable cameras that produce really bad photos).

When I first started looking I had my eye on the Canon S400 then start fishing around and saw some reviews on the Minolta Dimage G500. Now I am not sure what to do.

If anyone has any good advice or suggestions I would really like to hear them. I am not set on either one of the above cameras so, if you have any others you would like to suggest please give me some ideas. But I do have a limit of $400.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Greenville, SC
bkrable is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2003, 10:58 PM   #2

I highly recommend the Minolta DiMAGE G500.

This model was released in Japan at the end of June as the Konica Revio KD-510z. I had one in my hands 2 weeks later (I specifically looked for a Japanese model, since I knew it would take a while before it hit the U.S.).

Konica-Minolta decided to release this camera under the Minolta logo as the DiMAGE G500 in the U.S. They are identical except for the logo and model number.

If you check my forum (under the photos), you'll see my response to someone with the same question as you (which is better, the Canon S400 or the Minolta G500). I replied with links pointing to comments from two users who've owned both the Canon S400 and the Konica KD-510z/Minolta G500. They both prefer the Konica.

BTW, I like this camera better than any digital camera I've ever owned (Nikon Coolpix 950, Sony DSC-F505, Olympus C-2500L, Epson PhotoPC 3000z, Nikon Coolpix 990, Sony DSC-P10).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 11:07 PM   #3

Here are the forum posts. I just copied them from my Konica album forum at http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z

I think both are very nice little cameras for the money. Most Canon S400 users seem quite pleased with theirs. I haven't personally used the S400, but I can point you to a couple of users that have owned both cameras. They both prefer the Konica KD-510z (identical to the Minolta DiMAGE G500 -- they just decided to market it under the Minolta logo in the U.S., after the Konica-Minolta merger). See this forum post, and follow the links, and you'll see the comments from two users that have owned both models:

Good Luck with your decision!

From: Widi (widijhaveri@hotmail.com) Date: 10-Nov-2003 22:38

I was going to buy the Canon S400, until (1) I read your positive review/postings on the G500 on DPreview.com and a couple of other positive reviews on other websites (2) I realized that the G500 is about $50-75 cheaper (Buydig.com appears to have the best deals) and (3) G500 has 5 MP max. resolution vs. 4MP for the S400. However, it appears that the G500 isn't as reviewed/ tested/ popular vs. the S400.

I basically need a good camera for taking family pictures on road trips and social events, emailing pics to friends and relatives, and occassionally printing the best pics to get them framed. Which one of the two would you recommend (price difference is only a factor if all else is equal)?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this posting and responding at your earliest convenience.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote