Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 28, 2009, 1:09 PM   #11

I do indeed have a camera. I have a Sony Alpha 200 with the basic lens. Eons ago, I had a Nikon 6006, I think it was and I got away from photography but now that our nest is empty, I have more time on my hands, thus my question. When posting pics here, do I need to resize them?
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 1:20 PM   #12

Originally Posted by Outhouse View Post
When posting pics here, do I need to resize them?
Yes. You'll want to make sure the size in dimensions (pixels in width x height) and file size are not too large for viewing here.

To post a photo here, I'd suggest downsizing it using something like the free Irfanview. After opening an image with it (File>Open), look under Image>Resize/Resample. I'd make the longest side around 640 to 800 pixels (and no more than 1024, if you *really* need to show one that large for special purposes), leaving the retain aspect ratio box checked. I normally select the Lanczos algorithm for resizing.

Then, when you save the image after resizing (File>Save As), select jpeg as the file type and set the JPEG Quality slider you'll see pop up to around 75 to 80%.

That will probably get the file size within limits as long as the image is downsized to smaller dimensions first. Make sure to leave the retain EXIF box checked if you want members to see the metadata for camera settings used. Please make sure to keep the file size under about 250KB for best results (use a higher jpeg compression and/or smaller file size).

Then, use the attachment button you'll see when making a post here, which lets you upload an image and attach it to a forum post (use the button in the editor tool bar that looks like or , depending on the forum theme you using).

If you're trying to show an image from a web site elsewhere (versus uploading one from your hard drive, you can do that using the "Insert Image" button in your toolbar that looks like or (depending on the forum theme selected), then paste the link to your photo into the box you'll see pop up.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote