Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 14, 2003, 3:55 AM   #1
Default Monitor too light. Any help.....

Hello: I have a Sony Trinitron 19" Flat Screen Monitor that is about 3 1/2 years old now and noticed that the Black areas are no longer a sharp black. I have adjusted the brightness and contrast to bring out the blackest background possible but still seems too light. I have started noticing some diagonal lines on dark backgrounds in a bit of a fan pattern from the lower left part of screen. Since I do a lot of photo editing this is obviously becomming a problem to adjust the brightness and contrast of my photos. I am wondering if this is just an indication of an aging monitor or if there is a remedy anyone can recommend. If I have to replace this Monitor are there any recommendations for a new crt type monitor that would be high quality for photo editing. Thanks for any help!
Mike Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2003, 4:09 AM   #2

You didn't say what type of computer you use (mac/windoze), but have you tried adjusting the settings in the monitor/adapter preferences?

As for the fan pattern, have you tried adjusting the moire setting?

I bought a 19" Samsung SyncMaster 957MB earlier this year...PC Mag rated higher than all the other monitors including the trinitrons. The best thing about this monitor is it doesn't have those 2-3 damn trinitron/aperture grill wires that appear on the screen as horizontal black lines...they drive me up the wall.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 12:42 PM   #3

The "fan problem" is due to the horizontal refresh of your monitor showing up due to your misbalance between your brightness and contrast settings. This problem will show up whether you have an Intel or Apple based computer. Sounds like it's time for a new monitor.
Laserjock is offline   Reply With Quote