Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 14, 2003, 2:18 PM   #1
Default Help/Guidance

I am doing a product shoot for a Deli, I am taking pictures of sandwiches for the owner. I have done shoots before using a tent for Glass products with lights outside, however I cannot use a tent for this shoot. My background is black because my samples looked better with that background.

My question is, what would you suggest for settings on my camera?, i.e. Aperture/Shutter...I am using a Sony DSC-S70 (i know not really the camera for this but its all i have right now)....

I will start with white balancing it with a white card.
craig2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2003, 4:22 PM   #2

You'll want enough depth of field to get the entire product in focus. That will require a higher f-stop number. Depending on the size of the sandwiches, f11 or so might work. The problem will be that the higher you go, the larger the chance you'll run into problems with the lens (CA? Difraction? I forget what exactly the problem is with large apertures.)

You'll also want good lighting, because of the high f-stop. You'll probably need multiple flashes (it will also prevent any flash shadows, which would probably make it look bad.)

White balancing is a very good idea.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 10:39 PM   #3

thank you for the response...half the problem i am facing is using poor lighting...time to do some investing...thanks for the tips...
craig2o is offline   Reply With Quote