Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 15, 2003, 6:29 AM   #1
Default I find the picture of the day repulsive.

And so dous the majority of world population. You should show the pictures of the iraqi children that have died in so called collateral damage. This picture is not only repulsive its also an insult to many if not all muslims. This site should be about photografie and not about politics. And this is clarely a political picture. Goddam, it reminds me of the b/w movie of Goubbels in france with a local girl. That was clearely a propaganda movie. Or Saddam and the little boy whos parents where taken hostage by the regime in the first gulfwar. Its pure propaganda, nothing more. I think you have made an error in selecting this picture as a winner Steve.

I hope you respond to this Steve and think rationaly about this before you kick me out of this forum.

Micha Heyerick
Drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2003, 7:24 AM   #2
Default Its a great picture

It looks like a great picture to me. Very resolute and a great detail. I'm sorry to hear your so angry about the war its clouding your photo quality judgement. I can imagine it is terrible there right now. I am reminded of 9/11 in USA where I had calls from people caring for children whos parents would never return from work that day. Muslem extrememist, but I won't get upset with you since I know not all are like that. This photo reminds me of the popular photo of the Afganistan girl from National Geographic many years ago. It helps to capture another side of the war besides what we are flooded by in our media. It shows that Iraq has beautiful caring people. A great job by the photographer!
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 8:33 AM   #3

I see a young child befriended by an American soldier. The soldier would rather give his life than hurt the child. There is no need to dam God for it is man who is damned without him. I served for 21 years in the military and suffered the agony of two wars. No one hates war more than a soldier. He has witnessed and endure the horrors of war. My prayer would be that the American soldiers would return home and the Iraqi people would find peace in ruling themselves.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 9:04 AM   #4

I concur with Phil in every way.

I find nothing wrong with the photo. In fact, I find just the opposite. A young girl who has obviously very happy (as evident by her smile).

I do not pretend to know the circumstances around her happiness, but many of the people there have been repressed. The goal of America to help Iraq return to ruling themselves (without a repressive government) is admirable, and many soldiers have given their lives to help achieve this goal.

Nobody wants bloodshed. It is my hope also, that the Iraqi people are able to have a self government, that allows their people and society to prosper, without the fear associated with war or repressive governments.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 9:08 AM   #5

I see a terrific set of eyes and a warm photo.
I dont care for the subject matter, but thats not the point in my eyes.
I also hardly care for flower close-ups...but I see the nice detail of the photo in the shot and respect the picture for its quality.
Take another look at the photo...look at the quality...not the subject matter.
Or just dont look at all if you are offended
scarab38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 9:59 AM   #6

do not turn this into a political forum. i can show you pictures from all over the world of and by all types of people that you would find at the least disturbing. that is history and the image.

to me these are disturbing but they are a slice of history. the fact of the matter it is history. they are also great photos.

there is nothing wrong with the image only the way you perceive it.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 10:08 AM   #7

Thanks, Phil, for your wonderful response on this thread.

As I view the photo carefully...

I begin to develop a "sense" about the photo and its
two subjects.

In the eyes of the little girl, there is happiness and
she is obviously comfortable with the "other subject"
(presumably) a sargeant in the US Army.

The intent of the photographer, I "sense" was to
convey some poignant "themes":

- This is a wonderful young subject's moment to "shine"
as the sargeant is, essentially, in the background.
- The sargeant (largely unseen in the photo) is there to
offer hope and support. If we knew this man who
has chosen to serve, I believe we would find that he
has children of his own back home in the USA. He
misses them greatly. In his own quiet way, he
sees this young girl as another of God's children to
support and protect.
- Finally, as you look at the soldier, he is not armed
nor is he wearing a flak vest. The trust, the comfort between
the sargeant and this young girl is obviously reciprocal.

I can only hope that this sargeant's wife and children and his parents back home have seen this photo.

This photo is, simply, a very powerful image.

Thank you, Steve, for choosing this photo as your Photo of
the Day.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 11:37 AM   #8

Obviously a good photo to envoke such emotion and discussion.
Chael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 12:00 PM   #9

I don't see anything wrong with the photo. When I look at it, I see a girl who seems very excited to have her photo taken. I am not analyzing the politics behind every photo I see or I could end up complaining about every photo of the day
kschewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 4:42 PM   #10

Perhaps the upset is mostly a matter of geographic location. I don't care about who's ever kid is proud on her daddy, just hope that all kids in east or west can express similar pride to their parents (without war).

The thing that does annoys me with this photo is the colors. Composition also is a bit on the edge; kid is just slightly ofcentre leaving a large piece of wall included in the photo... The face expression and light are great.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote