Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 18, 2003, 10:14 AM   #1
Default Best Digital Camera for shooting video

I'm buying a digital camera this week. I actually had the Canon Powershot S230 this past summer and really loved it, but it was stolen. I'm inclined to buy it again, but I keep hearing about the sd100 and so on...

I want the camera both for digital stills and for video. I work with live video and actually *need* video to be at 320X240, so it's better for me to be able to shoot at that size! However, I've noticed that where the S230 shoots at 20fps, the newer ones shoot at 15fps. Then i saw that the kyocera Finecam S5R (?) shoots at 30fps, but the review here said the video quality was horrible. It would be nice if I could shoot for longer than 3 minutes, though it does add a sort of old-school super-8 touch to things!

So -- any recommendations? Should I just stick with what I know? (An extra incentive for the S230 is that I still have a battery and a 256MB CF card).

betsbillabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:47 AM   #2
Default Oops... also, I am looking for a compact camera

It would be extra great if it took AA batteries so that if I'm travelling in remote places (something I do a fair amount) I could get new batteries.

betsbillabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2003, 12:14 PM   #3

Some of the Fuji models can record unlimited movies with audio at 320x240 at 30fps.

In subcompact models, check out the F700 (unlimited 640x480 or 320x240), or the new F420 (unlimited 320x240) -- both at 30fps.

I don't think the F420 is shipping yet, though.

In larger cameras, there are even more choices (but it sounds like you'd prefer a subcompact).

Unfortunately, these don't use AA batteries, though. So, you'd need to make sure you have spares and a dual voltage charger with you.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2003, 12:26 PM   #4

The Fuji S5000 has a movie mode that meets your requirements and a 10X optical zoom.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote