Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 23, 2009, 7:31 PM   #11

I have a medium format film camera (Mamiya) with three lenses. I've used Pentax 6 X 7 along with Mamiya....back in my film days.

Back in those days you got better picture quality when you blew the Medium Format pictures up...compared to even the top 35 mm cameras.

The negative size whether it was a 645, 6 X 6, 6 X 7, ^ X 9, etc. is significantly larger than a 35 mm negative size. That was the key.

The lens quality of the Hasselblad, Mamiya's, Pentax, Bronica, Rollei, etc. were also excellent...just as Leica, Nikon, Canon, Pentax, etc. lenses were with 35 mm .

But with excellent lenses from both 35 mm and Medium Format...the difference in quality was the negative size difference of the MF.

BTW...there is a difference between Medium Format and Large Format...Large Format is not MF...it's larger than MF...negative size...completely different. For Large Format...picture Ansel Adams with his large format on his tripod in Yosemite.

MF was much more reasonable price wise compared to top 35 mm equipment...it seems to be pricier in these digital days than it was in the film days.

Medium Format film equipment is heavier and generally is/was used in studios, at weddings, etc...but when I was younger I used to drag out Pentax 6 X 7 and Mamiya cameras out and about in the field.

Now I'm older (60) and I find one DSLR body with lens attached is enough for me.

Last edited by lesmore49; Nov 23, 2009 at 7:35 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote