Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 18, 2003, 6:14 PM   #1
Default Purchasing a digicam from USA

Since the prices of digicams here in Turkey, are relatively high than USA, I want to order a digicam from newegg.com (where the cam i want -Powershot A60- is priced as 189$ while 360 $ here in Turkey)

But, as you know, if you order a digital camera -or any electronics- from e-stores, the shipment and the taxes are closing the difference in price..

So i found a solution; that, i will order A60 again from newegg.com, but with a given address of a friend of mine residing in the States. Then he will send the cam, here to Turkey, by FedEx, TNT, UPS etc.. as any other packages..

What I wonder is, in this delivery, a taxing problem may occure or not? Does delivery companies, check the items, and priced their tax values into the bills? This will be just "one" electronical device, and it's obvious that i am not gonna made trade of it.. It may be my own camera, which i forgot in my friend's house in my last visit to USA, indeed ops:

Had anyone here had such an experience..? Any ideas, or advices..?

Thanx a lot for your replies from now..
iason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2003, 8:08 PM   #2

When your friend sends your camera to you in Turkey, he's going to fill out a customs declaration. I suspect your government is going to collect (or at least try) the duty on it. I'm not an expert on such matters, but seems to me that you'll end up paying the full price or close to it on your camera.

There may be some way to beat the import tax. I hope you can find it. One of the reasons that US prices are so much lower than in many countries is our reasonably low import duties.

Good luck.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 8:33 AM   #3
Default Ordering Overseas

You may find that many photo companies will not accept a credit card with a foreign address for shipment to another country, as I've learned the hard way.

I live in Europe. And while the prices are higher here, I find that the hassle factor (customs run-arounds, shipping etc..) exceeds the savings on items under $500.

Best to count on the Customs officials opening the package. If they do and it is not declared correctly you will likely get you camera much later than you had hoped.
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 9:33 AM   #4

Customs can confisicate any product that has not been declared as stated on the declaration form. You are better off to purchase the camera in your own country unless you are planning to travel to the US and purchase the camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote