Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 20, 2003, 7:04 PM   #1
Default Shutter delay on digital cameras and what 3MP camera to buy

Hi. Nice site. This is my first post here.

My current digital camera, a Canon A50 1.3 MP is getting a bit long in the tooth and I am ready for an upgrade. I have been happy with it except for the VERY annoying delay between when the shutter is pressed and when the shot is taken. It is impossible to take a pic of the kids. By the time it is actually taken, they have moved, are looking away, etc.

I'm looking for a 3 mega pixel camera. The Canon A70 is among the ones I am looking at. I read reviews and they still seem to have that shutter delay issue. How bad is it these days? Better than what I have now? What 3 MP camera is good in this respect?

sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2003, 7:47 PM   #2

Phil Askey tests autofocus lag and shutter delay in his reviews (see the Timing and File Sizes Section of reviews at http://www.dpreview.com )

Dave Etchells also measures a camera's performance (see the "Picky Details" section of his reviews at http://www.imaging-resource.com )

If it doesn't have to be 3 Megapixels, one of the "fastest non-DSLR digital cameras on the planet" will be the new 4 Megapixel Minolta DiMAGE G400 (a.k.a. Konica Revio KD-420z). Minolta is advertising a total Autofocus + Shutter Lag time of only 0.2 seconds (it's using a brand new Hybrid Focus System).

It just started shipping a couple of days ago from some dealers.

However, make sure to look at other specs too (flash range, etc., to make sure it meets your needs).

Also, autofocus lag will vary a lot with camera models depending on lighting conditions. One that's fast outdoors, may not be indoors (by accounts I've seen, the Minolta G400 should be though).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2003, 9:15 AM   #3
Default Check out the Casio QV-R40

It has amazingly fast startup and shutter lag is almost non-existant. I love it. The drawbacks that I feel should have been different with the camera are: Lack of A/V out, USB 1 instead of 2, and lack of manual controls.

It's fast though so give it a try.

mckeand13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 8:38 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I ordered a Canon SD100. I found a good deal on it with a free 128 M SD card and extra battery. Looking forward to trying it out!
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote