Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 22, 2003, 2:00 AM   #11

Originally Posted by slipe
I usually do OK by guessing where my average lighting might be and pre-metering by pushing the shutter release halfway at that place.
Yes, that works fine for a 'manual' panorama. What I'm saying is that the camera's automatic panorama building facility loses that possibility by locking on the *first* frame's exposure, whether you like it or not. The automatic facility does, however, give you...

(a) the useful overlap on the monitor to help you align the next frame, and...

(b) a nice player which displays the result automatically as a scrolling panorama so you can see whether you need to try again, and....

(c) good interfacing with the supplied stitching software (which may well be not as good as third-party dedicated panorama-stitchers).
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2003, 9:16 AM   #12

Several folks have mentioned locking exposure when shooting panoramas: it also is a good idea to lock white balance as well.

If your are going to get into seriously shooting panoramas, eventually you will want better software than comes with any camera - in particular, Panorma Tools. Beyond being the most powerfull software, PT is also the most difficult to learn and to use even with one of the GUIs. PT is not the best to start with unless you have an almost ininite tolerance to frustration. So if you are going to be serious about shooting panoramas, don't pay any attention to built-in pano features. Just make sure the camera has full manual controls.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote