Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:18 AM   #1
Default Canon S5IS communication error

Hi there,

I have a canon S5IS whih has worked perfectly for over a year, now however when i try to download my photos onto my computer using the lead a error message runs along the screen ' communication error' and there is no link up between my computer and the camera.

IS there anything i can to fix this?

Thank you
vjennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:33 AM   #2

Welcome to the forums. AFAIK, your model does not offer more than one USB Transfer mode, so I doubt it's a camera issue.

My guess is that it's either the USB cable, the USB Port, or a software conflict on your PC causing it. You can reset your camera back to factory defaults just to make sure. You'll find a Reset All choice in the setup menus. But, I doubt it's the camera.

Have you recently installed any new USB devices or software (virus protection, firewall, printer drivers, etc.) that could be causing a conflict? I'd unplug any printers or other USB devices and see if one is interfering with it. You may also want to try a different USB port on your PC. Reboot your PC to make sure it's not just a quirk of some kind, too.

You may also want to try reinstalling Canon's software.

If all else fails, you can buy an SDHC card reader for very little money now and use a USB card reader versus a USB attached camera.

For example, you can even buy an SDHC card *including* a reader for under $20. Here's a Class 6 card with a reader for $16.99 with free shipping.

They have larger sizes for more.

Or, just buy a reader if you have enough cards. They're very inexpensive now. You'll find some examples here (just make sure the reader you buy specifically supports SDHC cards, as some readers work with SD but not SDHC).

Here's one for $5.99 with free shipping:

Or, just find one at your local office supply store (staples, office depot, etc.) or electronics store (best buy, etc.). They'll carry some.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote