Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 22, 2003, 12:24 PM   #1
Default Megapixels?

Hello, I am looking at purchasing a digital camera. I was wondering how important the mega pixel is? If I never want to print anything bigger than 10*11 is having a 3 Mega pixel the same as a 6 Mega pixel camera? Also I was looking at the Fuji S5000. Why is it only a 3.1MP camera when it says it can have 6 MP recording? What does that mean?

Anyway any input would be appreciated!! Thanks for your time

trackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2003, 12:51 PM   #2

You can get good quality photos from a 3 Megapixel Camera for the print sizes you want.

As far as the Fuji S5000, it's using interpolation to get 6 Megapixels output from a 3 Megapixel Sensor.

You can also interpolate images using software. Interpolation does not add detail, only pixels (based on the values of adjacent pixels).

You can also interpolate using software, often with better results. Irfanview has a pretty good Lanczos based resize/resample algorithm for doing the same thing. You can download it for free from http://www.irfanview.com

The Fuji S602 had pretty good in camera interpolation, with a larger sensor than the s5000. However, tests that I've seen, show that the in camera interpolation on the S5000 does not work as well. Phil Askey (owner/editor of dpreview.com) suggests shooting in this models 3 Megapixel Mode for best results.

See his tests on this page. Scroll down to the bottom, where he compared resolution charts shooting in both 3MP and 6MP Modes. He said "...As you can see from the crops below there was absolutely no advantage shooting at 6mp mode on the S5000..."

In any event, for the print sizes you're looking for, 3MP will be fine, and you can always use software later, if interpolation is needed to prevent pixelation at larger sizes (although interpolation only adds pixels, not more detail).

Scroll down to the bottom of this page, and you'll see a chart that gives you an idea of photo quality at different resolutions and print sizes:

As a general rule, 150 Pixels Per Inch of resolution is enough for good quality prints.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2003, 12:55 PM   #3

Optics, lens quality, picture quality, how the camera feels in your hands, can you operate it easily...I worry about all that first before I concern myself with how many MP it has (although any camera less than 2mp I don't consider).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote