Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 22, 2003, 4:46 PM   #1
Default Digital Cameras Date/time

Trying to resolve a query, when you first set up a digital camera one of the settings is entering the date/time, is this powered by a built in rechargeable battery that keeps the clock etc going when you take out the main batteries for recharging or when the main batteries are exhausted. Alternatively is there a built in battery similar to a watch or computer that has to be replaced every few years.
FrankS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2003, 6:49 PM   #2

Maybe yes, maybe no...all depends on the camera. I think most consumer cameras just use a capacitor to hold the charge for about an hour. I've seen several cameras taken apary, and I've yet to see a "battery". Maybe it uses the same capacitor it uses for the flash to store a charge good for one hour.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2003, 7:11 PM   #3

As Mike said it probably depends upon the camera.

The canon A60/70 & probably the A80 all use a lithium button battery (non rechargable, like a watch/calculator).

It goes here, in the litte plastic tray above the audio/video out jack :

I'm not really sure why you're concerned... either way shouldn't be a serious problem. These batteries last about 5 years or more... and if it uses some other method to retain the settings you should have plenty of time to change batteries before it loses the settings.

KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote